My helper wants to fast

My helper is from indonesia and today she asked if she can start fasting tomorrow. Her agreement with her agency was that she would not fast while working here. Her main duties are housework, laundry and cooking. i am concerned that she would not be able to take it. She is my first helper. Anyone here have domestic helpers who are fasting? or not fasting? Any advice?

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Thats not right. Yes she might have agreed that she will not fast during her time here, but tbh dont we sometimes agree to unfavourable conditions w/o considering it thoroughly during an interview just cos we want that particular job? Lol. Fasting is part of every muslim’s obligation. Not letting your helper fast is basically similar to stripping a person to her right of practicing her own religion — eg; going to church, praying, observing certain religious events etc... Yes, she is able to compensate the days of not fasting but there must be solid, justifiable reasons as to why she doesnt fast (period, very ill). I’m sure she has been fasting since young and would know how to juggle hard labour and fasting. If she really cannot endure it, then it’s up to her whether she still wants to continue fasting during work hours or not. As an employer, we need to also respect their rights as a human being and understand their needs.

Read more