Have you ever thought about getting a tubal ligation after pregnancy? If you're planning to do so, why and after how many kids? If not, why not?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

A tubal ligation, also known as tubal sterilization, is a procedure wherein the fallopian tubes are cut or blocked to prevent the egg from moving to the uterus for fertilization at the same time to prevent the sperm from traveling up to the fallopian tubes to reach the egg. It is a permanent form of birth control, but it does not affect the menstrual cycle. The Procedure In an out-patient interval tubal ligation, a doctor either inserts a needle or makes an incision through the navel to inflate the abdomen with carbon dioxide or nitrous oxide gas, thereby allowing a laparoscope to be inserted in the abdomen. The doctor will then make a second incision to insert special instruments through the abdominal wall and seal the fallopian tubes by blocking them with plastic rings or clips or by destroying segments of the tubes. The Pros 1) It’s extremely effective in preventing pregnancy - Tubal ligation is the one of the most effective birth control methods. You don’t have to worry at all about missing a pill or forgetting to wear a condom; no human error can make you pregnant when your tubes are tied. Fewer than 1 out of 100 women get pregnant within the first year of getting tubal ligation. 2) You won’t experience hormonal changes - Tubal ligation won’t change the levels of estrogen and progesterone in your body, nor will it affect your mood and sex drive. It doesn’t affect your menstrual cycle, so menstruation will still occur. 3) It’s permanent - Tubal ligation is the only form of birth control that is permanent, compared to implants (lasts 3 years) and IUDs (lasts 5-10 years). The Cons 1) It’s permanent - You can change your mind later, but tubal ligation is very expensive to reverse. Also, the success rate depends on the woman’s age and how much of the tube remains after it was tied. 2) Some risk is involved - While it is a safe procedure, tubal ligation can cause accidental injury to the bowel, bladder or arteries, but this happens very rarely. You may be at higher risk of complications from a tubal ligation if you've had previous pelvic or abdominal surgery or you have a history of obesity or diabetes. 3) It may fail - The younger you are at the time of a tubal ligation, the more likely the sterilization is to fail. Pregnancy can still occur, and if it does happen, there’s a big chance that it will be an ectopic pregnancy (fertilized egg implants outside of the uterus), which can be a life threatening if not treated. Sources: - http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/tubal-ligation/basics/what-you-can-expect/prc-20020231 - http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/features/should-i-get-my-tubes-tied#1 - http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/tubal-ligation/basics/definition/prc-20020231

Read more
VIP Member

i am planing to get tubal after my 3rd pregnancy. As i had two natural delivery, going for IUD or tubal require some procedure and extra time spent in hospital and it's not possible for me as i have no one helping me to care for my child. For my 3rd baby, high chance i will HAVE to go thru csect during to pregnancy complication? So i am intending to do tubal immediately after my csect

Read more

Yes i considered after giving birth to 2nd child den ligate cos i'm tired and i'm scared tat we cant cope wif too many kids but my hubby dun wan me to do so. He said if dun ligate, if finances ok and we can cope wif 2 kids, den maybe can plan for 3rd child.

VIP Member

yes i wanted to do when i had my two kids. I felt im done with kids and happy with my life. But husband rejected and heard that govt won't even allow due to young age. Now preg with my 3rd kid. I am considering of clipping then cutting.

Read more

yes I am planning on a tubal clipping since my 3rd baby have to be delivered by csect. However I faced no rejection when I mentioned it to my gynae. all she said was OK then we do it together

Yes. But I'm so scared. Either way I'm. Scared, to go through any sort of procedure and I have a phobia of kids now. Now you can understand my predicament? Hahahah

Yes I do but was rejected as I was deemed still young & only 1 child. I dont intend to have anymore kids.

yes!! I stopping at 2

VIP Member

No