should we hold baby on hand at all time?

My girl (3+ years old) is very lazy to walk. She likes to be carried, especially with grandma who likes to carry her since she was a baby. I don't like to "help" her walk. Do you think keep carrying a baby on hand will become a habit when they turn to toddler? Or I should have carry her even more so the result will be different? any mum has experienced this before? and what was the result when they turn older ?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My son always like to carry tell me his sleepy. 3y + too. Weight 15.5kg. I told him I can't carry anymore at age 2y +. Even if I carry, it is not more then 5 mins. because he is getting heavier... And doc advice not to carry heavy weight etc explaining to him. We usually we will take a stroller out or ask him ride his balancing bike.

Read more
4y ago

he is very understanding ! My daughter also trying to understand my situation, always says "ok loh...", but shows me her very disappointed/upset face. make me feel like she is so poor girl.😒

Super Mum

I think it depends on the personality of the child. My husband turned walking/running into little games and challenges for my daughter to encourage her to do them, and it worked like a charm. Heh. Now my daughter can walk really long distances.

4y ago

thanks thanks! this is a good idea too. i always stress her in good and bad way. lucky she is 3+yo can understand me now. haha. I used to tell my MIL, but she cannot do it. She treats her grandchildren like always the little one never grow up. i was so stressful last time when my LO had started to learn crawling and so on. End up I rather brought LO out don't stay at home. Now my 2nd child is 3 months old. I think stressful is around the corner again. 🤔

Hi, It really depends on child to child but I would suggest you start encouraging your daughter to walk with some easy games etc. This will engage her and will also help her in going away from carrying gradually

Super Mum

She will grow out of it eventually. However, it is super tiring for the adults who are carrying her.

4y ago

do you think this will affect their personality? I have this kind of thought that if walking also needs help, when do anything might be very easy to ask for help too. give up easily.

VIP Member

Ya, carrying may bcame habit. Talk to her, she need to self Walk

She’ll grow out of it over time