Can I do without a confinement nanny?

FTM. Anxious to know for those who were first time mom before, did you manage without help either hiring confinement nanny or mother? I am staying in a rented 1 room condo and we don't have enough space for baby cot and stuff, let alone space for confinement nanny to stay over esp we only have 1 toilet. Also knowing myself I won't be able to stand seeing nanny sitting around watching Netflix lol. My mom had refused to help sigh. Also its not possible to stay at her place as her house will be gg through government upgrading project. Those who had gone thro this before. Was it OK to manage on your own without help? I'm worried I can't cope esp If dunno how to breastfeed

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hey, I recently got reject by confinement nanny agency because we are not the legal age of 21. At first i was very worried because in the asian culture, its a must to have a confinement nanny. But i did some researching and watching of youtube videos about “day in life with newborn”, i am reassured that we don’t necessarily need one. I would say it is more of a luxury to have one. I am going to order confinement meals for a month , while caring for my new born. Furthermore, seeing and physically feeling how my babygirl is moving inside me, i think i might have grown attached and protective … dont really like the idea of having a temporary stranger to take care of my very mini own.. i would rather take care of baby myself then after 2 months, send it to infant care. Baby and mother tips are all online. So dont worry about it mama! Whatever decision that u make, u will be fine.

Read more
1y ago

thanks for the reply! yes agree and hope all goes well for you and baby too!

TapFluencer

2nd time mom here. Decided without confinement nanny for both babies as I don’t feel relaxed with a stranger in the house. Also for the same price I can get other services instead. What helps are: 1. husband’s support, he’s very hands on so I wasn’t totally alone (join a mommy’s WhatsApp if you don’t have husband’s support, there are WhatsApp groups that go by EDD month) 2. Attend a breastfeeding class before birth and check your pump/flanges with them (I regretted not attending) 3. Order confinement meal package so you don’t need to think about food at all 4. Order Jamu massage package so you can have company during the duration, shrink belly and ease engorgement In total that will cost about $3000 compared with confinement nanny that’s $4000++ during peak (you have to feed the nanny too).

Read more
1y ago

thanks so much I totally agree , CN fee is plain exorbitant and really weird to have a stranger

Hi there. The nurses will teach you how to breastfeed after you give birth. So ask alotof qns before you get discharged. Keep yourself hydrated and eat healthy foods and keep yourself clean and hygienic all day after birth. My husband and i, we did everything ourselves. My mum has passed awae before i got married and technically im all by myself, with a great teamwork with my husband. Everything is manageable when we have each other. My mil and aunty did come once in a while but i feel i need my privacy. I did a few days of massage but that was it. Now im pregnant with third baby. And i think it will be weird if you have a stranger living with you, and handling your newborn. It will give me more stress. You can do this!!

Read more
Post reply image
1y ago

thanks so much for your reply!

You may wish to prep yourself by ordering confinement food for breakfast/lunch/dinner OR lunch/dinner. Get yourself masseuse during a few days/week after your birth journey. Usually they will be the one that can help with baby/mum health as well as breastfeeding. While, not everyone healing/confinement journey has extra helping hand. But, your husband/in law/friends can help you during this period. You can do lots of reading, breastfeeding consultation or ask on TAP for better assistance. Trust yourself as a mother, most time it works. Always be calm though can be anxious and nervous but it takes time to understand NB during first few weeks.

Read more
1y ago

thanks for the reply! yes agree thanks

Wishing you and your baby the very best. You can do it!