For mummies with more than 1 kid, how do you divide your time between them? Do you feel guilty towards the other when you are playing with one? Almost 5 months passed & I'm still feeling the same!

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'm a SAHM with a 3.5yo and 4.5mo.. My elder one goes to 2 hrs kindergarten so eventually I'm still with the both of them most of the time.. Even so, because I'm exclusively breastfeeding my younger one, I still find myself stucked with the younger one and the older one need to play independently most of the time.. So what I like to do is to bring them out where my younger one can sleep better n I can focus on doing things together.. I also discussed with my hub that I'll date my older one out for a few hours or a day once in a while to bring him for movie, play, meals etc while my hub will take care of my younger one at home.. Its possible since I'm still pumping bm once a day so hub can feed him while i'm away..

Read more

i have a 4 year old and a 10 year old, and try as i might, it is sometimes really hard to divide the time between the two. i also feel guilty many times. i make it a point to take my elder one out on a lunch or dinner date at least once in 1 or 2 weeks. this gives us exclusive time with each other and she can share everything with me, without worrying about me caring for the younger one. also, when i drop my elder one to her hobby class, i use the time to take the younger one to the garden and we indulge in a lot of play time there. as your younger one is still quite small, you can ask your partner or other family member to spend the time with baby so that you can devote that time only to the older one.

Read more

Get hubby to chip in and take turns... He look after baby while I play with toddler and vice versa. Whatever it is, always make sure you give the toddler attention when s/he is talking to you. For me I will acknowledge and try to entertain him even if I'm carrying baby. If hubby is home and toddler needs my FULL attention I will either get hubby to do it on my behalf or I pass him baby (so long she is not latching!) and play with him. So I don't really feel guilty, especially when baby has my undivided attention since I'm latching her.

Read more
VIP Member

It's depend. My girl go to school, so after school, i will spend a bit of time with her, while during her school time i already spend time with her brother. I always bring both down to playgrounds to together, play bubbles together. So both get to play together and no one is neglected. I use took turn method and who naughty who stay at home if i have to bring 1 out. Good time to discipline the naughty one.

Read more

i am a stay at home mom and spend plenty of 1 to 1 time with my 2nd child because my elder son goes to childcare. on weekends when the elder is also at home, husband and i take turns to spend time wif both kids individually. the elder boy used 2 b quite jealous because he knows i m attached to the young 1 due to the fact that i am latchin 100% and we do not have any help at home

Read more
VIP Member

Well it's def not easy. But i always try to find a time to have one on one with one kid. For now it would be my elder son that i will try to arrange a short one on one time for him.