ok to drink tea in first trimester?

Hello, it's my first pregnancy and am trying to be as careful as possible. Is it ok to drink green tea or oolong tea during first trimester? It helps with the bloatedness but my parents were telling me it's a no-no... Anyone able to advise please?

23 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

This may or may not be the case. Teas made from herbs like peppermint and thyme may be safe to drink occasionally in small amounts while you're pregnant or nursing. But drinking excessive amounts of any tea can cause health problems for you and your developing baby.

VIP Member

Better not drink green tea and oolong tea. Heard these two are the more "cooling" ones. I also like to drink oolong tea :( super upset that I have to give my fav KOI drink a miss.. Hang in there!

I drank green tea almost everyday because I didn’t knew I was pregnant till I was 9th weeks😅 told my gynae about it and she said it was alright. I ended up drinking all the way till I gave birth.

If you wanted to ease bloatedness, you may like to drink ginger tea or rooibos tea instead as they are caffeine free compare to green tea and oolong tea

Yes but in limited quantities. You’re typically discouraged to drink caffeine while pregnant.

VIP Member

Ermm.. I will avoid caffeine during my whole pregnancy. Maybe drink some juice instead..

It's recommended not to. You can take ginger tea to help you with the bloatedness

VIP Member

Preferably after the first trimester and the tea should not be too thick

Super Mum

I didn't drink at all once I know I'm pregnant though I'm a tea lover!

Yup. Except green tea.. it inhibits the folic acid absorption