Empty Gestational Sac at 10 Weeks

This is my first pregnancy. I came for the first scan when I was 8 weeks and the doc mentioned that they couldn't detect anything as it was too small. 2 weeks later I came for the scan again, and the doc seemed confident to say that this pregnancy will be failure due to an empty sac with no visible embryo. The gestational sac shape is also abnormal. I bought a cheap doppler to check for any heartbeat, it is relatively on the low side between 70+ to 90+ BPM which is unusual for a 10 weeks fetus. It was very confusing how I could able to detect a little heartbeat but the sonographer/doc are unable to detect any embryo. Does anyone experiencing anything similar to mine?

Empty Gestational Sac at 10 Weeks
9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I went through the same. I went to seek for 2nd opinion and result was the same. Went back to the 1st hospital I went to, to check again and got to know that my sac stayed at the same size for 2 weeks and no signs of embryo. Got pregnant again after a year and my 1st dating scan was at 10 weeks. By that week the fetus can be visibly seen and you can also hear it's heartbeat clearly. Using doppler for home use is not recommended at all cos you may misinterpret your heart and the fetus. Also not advisable to use it too often. Be mentally prepared to hear the bad news. I only decided to try again many mths later to let my body heal completely inside out. Hugs! All the best!

Read more

Head over for another scan with another doctor/clinic to confirm. They would be able to measure the size of the sac to determine the number of weeks and check for embryo to determine if the pregnancy is viable. Heard from gynae that blighted ovum can be quite common especially in first pregnancies. Do stay positive about the whole situation, but also be mentally prepared for it. If situation is not ideal, do consider doing a mini confinement and take care of your body. Gynae would suggest you to try again after 2 menstrual cycle. Good luck and stay strong.

Read more
3y ago

yes, will be going for a second opinion to see how it goes. I did some research on blighted ovum and it's very similar. Just need to be mentally prepared for this. Thank you.

VIP Member

This is likely to be mmc. A missed miscarriage. I did surgery to clear this previously. Hugs. Have to be realistic dear, n acknowledge if this should be viable by now. By 5weeks fetal pole should be visible, n im sure u have googled how big a foetus would be by 8weeks? At 8weeks can clearly see a small lil prawn with flickering heartbeat on ultrasound. Try again after a few cycles, im sure u will have ur bb in near future.

Read more
3y ago

It took me quite while to try again, as i did mini confinement n i embarked on a year long journey of Tcm, acupuncture. These were to prep myself for iui.

Hihi... erm I’m sorry but the picture of the sac doesn’t look round... I had a MMC last year Aug.. Same the sac doesn’t look round.. did a suction to clear... did 2 weeks confinement... had a small getaway with hub... a month after the MMC god gave us a big surprise.. I’m pregnant again with healthy sac and this year June I gave birth to my baby boy...

Read more
Super Mum

Hi dear, so sorry to hear about the scan findings. If you heard a heartbeat that’s 70+ to 90+, it’s likely to be your heartbeat that you’re hearing. This must be a very difficult and confusing time for you. Please try to get some rest and spend time with loved ones ❤️

3y ago

Yes it is very confusing for us to try figure out what was happening. but thank you. I was given a week of MC so I'll try to get plenty of rest.

I experience the same in 2019.. found out in week 5 but nth detected by week 7. Took 2 blood test but HCG level not increasing as expected. Follow the doctor instruction as per rest. I got pregnant again 9 mths later. So keep trying and stay positive.

3y ago

Thank you. Will take note of your advice.

Hi! If its that range of heartbeat you’re probably hearing your own heart beat. Bought my doppler at 17 weeks. Couldn’t detect heart beat till 20th week. It should rage about “110-140”

3y ago

Will be doing the scan again in 10 days time. In the meantime, I'll head over to private clinic for a second opinion. And thank you. At least it gave me some hope that it may not be a failure after all.

by 8 weeks, u should be able to see the fetus pole and hear the hearbeat. and the heartbeat could be urs. be strong okay :)

3y ago

Noted on that. Thank you:)

Get second opinion from gynae.

3y ago

Yes will be going for a private one on Monday.