Hi everyone! We're considering buying a car along with the arrival of our first kid later this year, but the costs don't seem justifiable because we'll mainly only use the car on weekends. For parents who don't drive, how do you get around with your young ones on uber/cabs? Do you bring your own car seats? ?

21 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Without a doubt, when in a car situation, it is best to use car seats. If u haven't gotten ur pram, u can consider those that can detach the thing to be the car seat kind. Any other combination outside the usage of a car seat has risks and danger which u will need to understand and undertake. Personally, Whenever we go out, we just uber/cab and have baby in a carrier and wear the seatbelt but adjust the diagonal to the base - as if pregnant. Like I mentioned, this is what I do and we undertake the risks associated with it. Sometimes we bus or mrt to my parent's place or in laws place because all the houses are right beside mrt/LRT kind. Anything further we grab/uber. U may consider a weekend plate

Read more
VIP Member

Some options to consider: - Baby wear and take public transport like bus and MRT - If taking Grab, book Grab family and indicate age, they will have car seat for infants up to 3yo. - If taking Taxi, it's your own decision if you want to bring car seat for baby's safety or just baby wear (not the safe option though in an accident) - Can buy a stroller with car seat for easy transfer of car seat up and down taxis or Grab - Get a weekend car if cost is better for you

Read more
VIP Member

For the same reasons as most parents, we travel by public transport because my family doesn't own a car and I can't drive either (figured it is safer for everyone that I just stay OFF the road). I wasn't interested in the idea of getting car seats either because I usually bring my son out alone and I don't have the spare time/energy/strength/space/hands to be carrying and fixing a car seat everywhere we go - therefore, we settled with public transport!

Read more

Hey there! Congrats on the upcoming addition to your family! We opted not to buy a car too. We usually rely on Uber/cabs for weekend outings with our little one by https://alzaabiautocare.com/. We bring our own car seat along—it's a bit more planning, but it's doable and keeps our kiddo safe. Plus, it's a cost-effective choice for occasional rides.

Read more
VIP Member

i use the train and buses very often with my kid from the time he was a month old till now at 28 months old, from having a stroller to giving up using one when he was 14-15months old. we'll just take a cab whenever we need to, or rent (some rental.company have car seats for kids too) over the weekend if we are going to a few places.

Read more
VIP Member

I will usually take bus and trains. With the improved rule of being able to push the stroller up a bus, it's must easier to travel on public transports! Unless it's raining, i will take cab. But no, i don't have any car seats with me. I will babywear my child for safety

Read more

Most of the time we will book taxi and we baby wear him in the taxi. Unless you buy the stroller that can convert to car seat easily, I think it will be a hassle to carry a car seat around as it is bulky. Maybe can consider getting weekend car since you only use it then?

I travel by bus or train. It's the best way of transport for me. No jams and definetly cheaper than having a car. Unlessit's raining I'll take a cab

7y ago

Agreed with Ling, travel by bus or train is much easier for us too. We only travel by cab when we need to carry lot of things or raining. Have been doing it for 5 years for my kids so far so good. Most of the time, we have kind soul offering us seats.

Would getting a car with a red plate be more cost efficient for you since you are using it on the weekends mainly.

VIP Member

I normally prefer taxi , no need to put extra money on car seat