make up words

Does your kid make up words? I have an almost-4 year old and she likes to make up words. Could this be because she doesn't know how to say exactly what she wants to say? If so, what are ways I can help improve her vocabulary?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

this is great actually if your baby is making up words. it shows that she is imaginative, can be confident and does not shy away from sharing what she thinks is right. i am assuming she also knows at least some of the regular words :) in any case, this is absolutely normal! even i have a 4 year old who keeps making up funny words all the time, and also invents new uses for them!

Read more

at 4 years old, making up words is absolutely normal :) if you are worried about her regular vocabulary, i would suggest do the regular such as reading out loud with her and engaging in a lot of conversation. try to include her in as many 'talks' as you can, and keep the sentences small and interesting, so that she can follow and participate.

Read more
VIP Member

it's perfectly normal. They are trying to make up words that they hear but not knowing it's a proper word. It's their imagination and creativity. Once they start learning proper words, they will stop these words making,

Read more
VIP Member

My 2.5 year old makes up words Everyday. She tells me she’s speaking Japanese. It’s quite funny actually. Today she said mama, tolong papi poopa- she says its Japanese for I am happy. Lol

Yeah I don't get it on make up words. Sounds like creating vocabulary?

Other then the make. Up words can she speak normally as well?

What do you mean make up words?

7y ago

Exactly that. She'll say workds like abushka, shami, shibi shibi... Haha. It's quite funny, but I'm not too sure if I should be worried. Or maybe she's exercising her creativity and imagination? Or is it something else entirely that I should worry about?

VIP Member

Tt