What to do for prolonged jaundice?

Does anyone have any advise or experience of baby with prolonged jaundice? My son is 1 month plus old already. His jaundice levels is still within the 200 plus range. Previously, he had a 24 hour phototherapy at kkh, which helps to bring down to 100 plus. But then the jaundice levels slowly crept back up the week after. When back to kkh and did a series of blood tests, and all is okay though. So I recently tried to do mixed feeding of 1 to 2 fm a day. I also bathe him in the yellow flower water and bring him for sun tanning. But it does not seem to help. He still sleeps a lot and he still looks yellow. What else can I do? Should I change to full fm?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
TapFluencer

I want to first let you know that you're doing a great job at treating your baby's jaundice, don't give up. I see that you're already showering him with the yellow flower water and sunning him, these do help. Do take note not to keep him under the sun from 11am-4pm as it gets too hot. You can sun him twice a day, in the morning and late afternoon between 4pm-6pm (this timing is also good for brain development). Another thing that you can try to eliminate are items in the diet such as ginger and traditional herbs like ginseng, until he gets better. Also, what so you mean by you do mixed feedings of 1 to 2 FM a day? Do you mean you mix 2 different types of FM, or do you mix feed him with EBM and FM?

Read more
1y ago

I give him 1 to 2 feeds of fm a day and do direct latching for the rest of the day

Hi. My baby also had prolonged jaundice. I tried giving 2 fm per day. The rest bm. Also no use. Went for phototherapy for 3 days. Went down and came back up again. It’s like your case too. Sun the baby, bathe in yellow flower water. All did not help. Then I was advised to stop taking any Chinese herbs including red date drink and ginger. And avoid food like carrots, pumpkin, mangoes etc that can worsen jaundice. I followed. After changing diet first 2 days I give more fm. Then put baby back on full bm again. And jaundiced cleared within a week.. It could be mother’s diet. Look into what you eat and drink

Read more
1y ago

I stopped taking herbs since week 2 of confinement and had minimal ginger though. Haish.. Let me think what else I should change in my diet..

Hi mummy! This is what i did for my son when he got his jaundice. I follow the old school way. This is call Kayu Sepang. You boiled this thing with water, let it boil for few minutes. You can reuse it again for 3 days. Then u take the water alil and mix with warm water and let it cool down again then bathe ur son. Do it everyday.. my son jaundice drop from 200 to below 180. You can get it here mummy! And no need to put him under the sun! Doesnt help much. https://shop.barakah.sg/products/barakah-herbs-kayu-sepang-100-30g?_pos=1&_sid=8283521e6&_ss=r

Read more
1y ago

Meaning u take like half from the boiled herbs and mix with half of warm water.😂

My daughter got cleared at her 1 month. I changed to full fm for 10 days, her jaundice went down from 181 to 59. I also put her under indirect sunlight as much as possible. I stopped giving her my BM cos I was eating confinement food. Now that she is cleared, I am back to full BM

In the day i give my baby drink BF but at night i give her formula. I also bath her with the yellow flower water.. its really works her jaundice really go down so I suspect jaudice come from my bf..

1m plus isn’t uncommon actually. some babies take awhile longer due to many factors. can just keep doing what you are doing and hang in there

Finally, he is discharged from jaundice today!!! Thanks all!! 😊

TapFluencer

🙏