My baby is about 1 week plus old and he has jaundice. What are some tips to bring the jaundice level down? I heard bathing in beer helps?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is common for newborns to have jaundice. Jaundice happens when bilirubin (produced by the normal breakdown of red blood cells) builds up faster than a newborn's liver can break it down and pass it from the body. A liver blood test will allow the doctor to know your baby’s bilirubin level. For newborns, usually no treatment will be required as their body will develop and be able to get rid of the excess bilirubin. You can probably wait a couple of weeks to see if the condition goes away. In the meantime, keep a lookout for these signs, and contact your doctor if you observe any of the following: - your baby has jaundice during the first 24 hours of life - the jaundice is spreading or getting darker or more intense - your baby has a fever over 100°F (37.8°C) rectally - your baby starts to look or act sick - your baby is not feeding well - you feel your baby is sleepier than usual Common treatments include more frequent feedings of breast milk, or phototherapy. Here’s an article on the different types of jaundice: http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_center/newborn_care/jaundice.html# As with any conditions concerning the babies, always contact your doctor if you are worried. No harm in getting expert advice from the professionals for a peace of mind! :)

Read more

I have never heard about the beer bath to cure jaundice I don't think it will help your baby then also if you still think you can ask your doctor about this instead of that you can do some home remedies to cure the jaundice like 1.by frequently breast feeding baby 2.exposing your baby to sunlight for some time 3.giving him spinach , grass and tomato juice etc

Read more

Bathing in beer???? Really? This is the first time that I've heard about this and quite frankly, it sounds very ridicilous. My son had prolonged jaundice and I was advised to breastfeed. He told me not to "suntan" my son like what more elders would advise because this will cause my son to be dehydrated. What is ideal is for the baby to pee it out :)

Read more

For mild cases, jaundice treatment may not be required at all, since it typically resolves on its own. In moderate cases, the most common jaundice treatment is phototherapy.

VIP Member

As far as I know, new born children easily get affected by jaundice. Its not much of a concern but I would suggest consulting a pediatrician.

sun will work fine put in front of a window in the sun..it works I did it with my first

thanks