Does red date drink cause jaundice ?

Hi mommies, baby is 4 weeks old now. PD discharge her when she was 3 days old when jaundice drop from 190 to 120. At 1 week old, we brought her back to PD and he cleared her. Yesterday we brought her to polyclinic for her vaccine and the doctor commented that she look a bit yellow on her face and suggest to do a blood test to check her jaundice. As of yesterday is still 104. The doctor asked if I’m still eating confinement food and I said yes. When I asked if confinement food causes jaundice she said No and baby might be breastmilk jaundice. She suggests to feed her 50-50 bm and fm. So confused now. Any suggestions mommies ? She is going back next Monday for the blood test and so heart pain to see her keep crying when drawing her blood :(

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

No it doesn’t. 104 is still lower than 120 which means it’s on a downward trend. My LO’s level was about 112 at 4 weeks. She still looked yellow but it was on a downward trend so there was nothing to worry about too:) (she had >10 blood tests, very heartbreaking too) Anyway, we were discharged from follow up because we just needed to observe her. Important things to do: -ensure she’s fed very well. The more she drinks, the more she poops. When she poops, she helps get rid of the pigments, so the jaundice clears more quickly -for breastmilk jaundice (where the liver is still developing and unable to clear the pigments quickly enough), you can mix bm and fm (as they suggested), or.. you can just ride it out (if your bm is enough) and wait for the liver to mature. The jaundice may go down more slowly, but it’ll clear:) Hang in there! My once super yellow baby is now as fair as snow white. Haha!

Read more

Best to feed formula and breast milk.. take turn when as need. As long as baby urine and s*** more should not be a prob. Every morning try to find sunlight at 8am and let her suntann for an hour. My baby clear within the first wk.

VIP Member

I drank lot red dates water during confinement. My baby jaundice level was highest at 130 only. But ginger can cause jaundice if you breastfeed your baby

TapFluencer

104 is not high. I remembered by boy was 120+/- PD advise consistently feed him BM every 2-3hrs

4y ago

Sorry just confirm from my hubby is not 120+/- is 200+/-

Thanks all. Went back for follow up today and her reading was down to 91 :)

VIP Member

Red date doesn’t cause jaundice. But I heard, ginger does.

I don't thk so