Do you use talcum powder for your baby? Why and why not?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I personally don’t use it to my baby cause it caused rashes on her skin when I tried once. I immediately brought her to her pedia and she recommends to not to do it again. My hubby’s mom also recalled that when he was young, it’s noticeable that he’s having difficulty in breathing when powder’s applied to his body. The composition of talcum powder is perfectly safe for your baby's skin, but the fine particles can be harmful if your baby breathes in lots of them at once according to BabyCenter. Also, it doesn’t protect baby from getting diaper rashes so why use? http://www.babycentre.co.uk/x25006277/is-it-safe-to-use-talcum-powder-on-my-baby#ixzz432uucn1f

Read more

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends against the use of baby powder. This is because baby powder or talcum powder contains talc (or magnesium silicate). When inhaled, it can cause breathing trouble and serious lung damage. In small amounts, the powder could irritate a baby’s lungs. If there is a need to use baby powder, do so sparingly. Put the powder on your hands first, away from the baby (and not directly on or near her). Also, keep the container out of reach to prevent it from being knocked over. My cousin uses it to help prevent nappy rash. Since she only applies it on the lower body, she felt that it should be alright. :)

Read more

It's also been linked to ovarian cancer so I'd avoid using the in the diaper area as well. J&J was recently sued over it: http://sg.theasianparent.com/johnson-johnson-to-pay-millions-over-talc-linked-to-womans-ovarian-cancer/ Doctors recommend using products with corn starch rather than magnesium silicate.

Read more
VIP Member

No we don't use any powder - talc nor cornstarch. If you are worried about the recent lawsuits against talc powder and the link of talc to ovarian cancer you can consider shifting to cornstarch powder. The following brands only make powders from cornstarch Gold Bond, California Baby, and Burt’s Bees.

Read more

I dont use any powder as well. Why do we want to put such stuffs on our baby and clog up the pores. I use only coconut oil to keep the skin moistured. Moreover kids generally have sensitive skin. Simplicity and less is better.

I use this because it's natural (mostly) and dries to a powder finish

Post reply image