Do you choose your child's primary school based on the distance to your house or based on the popularity of the school?

36 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I tried to choose my son's school based on my views of the school's current students. didn't hurt that it was also a good school.. But we didn't manage to get in. Ended up going into the nearest school in the final phrase. but at least, he gets to enjoy his growing years instead of being rushed off to daily tuition n enrichment classes just to keep up with his peers.

Read more

For me I will choose the one nearer to my house as I the child will be very tiring if the traveling time is long. Also, whether a child will be successful doesn't depend on the school alone. Popular school tends to give more stresses to students. I wish to let my children to enjoy his/her school years and a holistic development (not only academic).

Read more

Primarily on the distance of the school from the home and it was luck that we happen to find a very good school within that distance. But even now, when my daughter is in 1st standard, I do not go for popularity. And if a school is very popular and worth it, then I would prefer to shift closer to the school than to make her travel an extra mile.

Read more

i will choose based on the distance because at the end of the 6 years all kids achieve the same certificate. By enrolling kid based on the popularity will also create more stress to kid . But most importantly a good and friendly environment for kids to enjoy their education !

I chose mine simply bcoz it was right next to my dad's place so it's convinient for my mum to pick her up since I work office hours. Don't believe that neighbourhood schools are inferior in any way. It's how the kid is bringing brought up that will determine his or her future.

When we began the process of getting a house, the criteria included proximity to a school I preferred - and yes, it is a popular school. Whether she gets in or not - we’ll find out in a few years.

For me it is based on distance. Travelling long distances to and from school may result in a tired child which may not be beneficial.

We chose the school first before we bought our property. We chose a place within 1 km of the school we have been eyeing for our dd.

VIP Member

It can work both ways. Close as well popular. But I would go more go for feasibility for me to go pick my kid up everyday

VIP Member

Distance more important coz kids these days stay back in school often and by the time the get home they'll be exhausted.