Dear working mums, when ur child is 11 months old, and if u do not have time to cook for LO's dinner, wad do u do? Give cereal again? My LO is in ifc. Morning taking cereal, afternoon taking porridge. Is it ok if i give cereal again at night? Am concern as LO is turning 1 soon & 1 yr old onwards, should start giving 3 meals a day already. Weekends i will cook but weekdays is not possible. I would not want to pre-prepare the food in advance & put in e fridge. Need advise. Thanks!

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Well, if not comfortable, no time, no pre-prepared --- one of them got to give way. My boy is 14 months now but has been eating close to full adult food. He has 3 meals, no more cereal as he don't like it alrdy. So bf is oatmeal/banana muffin (I bake), or whole meal bread with little bit of peanut butter here and there, or bread & eat hard boil egg, or steam "man tou". Lunch/dinner if mil looking after then cook porridge for him. Or simple porridge like - plain porridge and steam salmon or chicken or broccoli then u ownself mash and mix it in before feeding. Or if ur baby can self feed - u can consider udon/penne/fusilli/potatoe cubes for carbo, steam chicken/salmon/whatever meat for protein, then steam broccoli for vege. My boy has been eating quite well for 3 solids for quite a while liao

Read more

Actually I prepare 2 portions of porridge for her at the start of day in a thermos shuttle chef small pot. Inner pot is removable and can use over fire/stove. in the morning after porridge is done, i scoop up 1 portion n transfer to a smaller thermos food jar for ifc. remaining portion i keep in the shuttle chef. come dinner time, we usually add a piece of fish into it (so it is variety) n diff fr lunch. heat up the shuttle chef pot w fish. the dinner is done. does not take long to heat up porridge. I somehow dont think cereals again for dinner is a good idea though... just my opinion. hope u find a gd solution soon!

Read more

How is ur working environment?. Will it be possible to store raw ingredients in e fridge? Pre-prepare e needed ingredients fr home..u can make soup using the electric lunch box with mummy jorelle's method b4 getting off work then transfer to a thremoflask.. It'll still be warm when I reach ur mil hse..can give e soup and rice (cooked by mil).

Read more
VIP Member

you can try noodle soup? This is what i do when i need a meal FAST. I throw ikan bills and water into the electric lunch cooker. then i also throw in kwaytiao. For about 20-30mins it will be done. i just do it together. veggies also. You can try this method. Once come home, do the food first before proceeding to unpacking

Read more
7y ago

I cant. Wont have time. After work, i will have to pick LO straight from ifc den go over to MIL's hse to makan dinner. I hoped tat LO can start eating family food but mil cooks really oily food.. even veges she oso cook until so oily. I wouldnt wanna let him try at all.. not comfortable with tat.

A quick fix I love when I'm too busy to prepare and cook is oatmeal. Just cook oatmeal with water/milk (I use frozen breast milk), then add fruits such as Apple, pear, banana etc. Fast, easy and nutritious and my girl loves it! :)

I make food in batches and freeze them in portions. 'I'll take out the portion in the morning and put it in the fridge. When I'm home I'll just warm it up in a bowl of hot water and do other things.

Would be good to get more variety other than cereal and porridge. How about some fruit and vegetables? Can steam in the morning, keep in the fridge ready for evening meal.

The slow cooker Is my life saver! I dump everything in the morning or the night before and leave it. When i return its all done. Tada!

7y ago

No worries. Keep me posted!

VIP Member

is she open in cooking at least one light dish? Maybe one soupy dish for LO so LO can eat with rice?

7y ago

Ok. Thanks for e idea.😊

VIP Member

No problem! Hope ur Mil is open in helping you