Dear Mummies and Daddies, I am à first time mom, we have a helper and my work hours are flexible. I am torn between a full day playgroup vs a few hourly playgroup. I am looking at which will benefit the child more. Am planning to send her when she is 18months. We stays in Punggol. Will love to hear your recommendations on centres and comments too

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

If money is not an issue, why don't you try the few hours a day first (although this is going to be as expensive as full dayif you calculate the per hour rate). Let your lo get accustomed to it and then you can move forward from there. For me, I started playgroup for my lo when he turned 2 and now he is almost 4, and we are still doing twice a week only for 3 hours a day. I prefer spending time with him and taking him out to parks and playgrounds. Your lo can benefit from this one on one interaction and plus you can give him a variety like taking him to the zoo or the aquarium.

Read more
8y ago

I took mine to Playgroups at Clementi. We only did once a week for 1. 5hrs. But you can do more and you have an option whether to put your lo in a Mandarin or English Class. They are very nice and flexible. We now go to Buttercups for twice a week. He does the starters class so it's like a playgroup too. Playdays has both accompanied and unaccompanied programs. Buttercups only has drop offs.

I personally recommend signing up for full day childcare as the price is only a few hundred more, but atleast you have the flexibility to leave your toddler for full day if necessary and take her out whenever you want. Also, depends if you are planning for number 2. If you are, might be a good idea to get baby 1 used to other caregivers so you don't need to deal with anxiety later on.

Read more
8y ago

Thank you so much. I really need some thinking through. Hope to hear more opinions

Hi! I personally sent my child to a 3 hours playgroup, 3 times a week - when he turned 18 months. For me - I feel that the parent & child bonding is the most important education. So I would prefer to spend the time with my child if I have the time / flexibility to do so. My two cents!

Read more
8y ago

Hi. You can consider bubbles learning house at yishun. Tembusu grove at hokey pokey at seletar mall. Two by two in the east coast is highly recommended too.

It depends on what your child is ready for. Cost is only one consideration, although an important one. Quieter kids who observe and are very sticky will have a very hard time with loads of separation anxiety. so a full-day is very long....

8y ago

Thank you Jenni. I agree on the part on Cosy too. At the same time I am thinking if it is too stressful on long hours but on the other hand will it help when they are put on a scheduled. She is exceptionally active.

I have registered for full-day playgroup for my boy when he turns 18 months old. little footprints @yishun

half day since you have a helper. In that way she gets to be exposed to a different environment.

VIP Member

Half day. Since helper is around to care for your child. Not sure about punggol area though.

Read more