Transparency in Personal Savings in Marriage

Currently pregnant with first child. I have a few savings that I segregate for child, myself and joint Acc with hubby. I know I have a lot more savings than my hubby cos he is transparent with me. He shows me how much he has in his bank acc but I can’t bring myself to show him the amount of money that I have in my personal bank acc that I saved for myself and child all these while. Arrangement is I put “dollar to dollar” matching with him in our joint baby acc. He usually give me lump sum and I matched my own savings it. Part of me is afraid that if he knows I have a lot more, he’ll be “complacent”. I always emphasized to him that having a kid in Sg is not cheap and savings is very important. Cost of living in SG is not cheap. Not that I don’t trust him but between me and him, he tends to spend more while I’m now more thrifty knowing I’ll give birth in a few months’ time. He gives me a little bit of money each month though. Are u guys transparent enough with each other and show how much each person has in own savings? Am I being selfish/bad wife?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Just keep it this way. No need for him to know everything. Keep that aside as reserves for you and your child for a rainy day.