Ask the Expert Series: Breastfeeding

Start asking away, if you have questions all about breastfeeding, as our expert Dr Tan Yia Swam will be answering your questions on breastfeeding ??

Ask the Expert Series: Breastfeeding
38 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Can I wait until I stop breastfeeding to see a doctor?

5y ago

Most breast problems during breastfeeding are due to breastfeeding (ie. infections, blocked milk ducts etc). However, I have met a few patients who actually develop cancer during pregnancy and this goes unnoticed until later on. If you have a persistent lump, or blood stained nipple discharge, please see a doctor early rather than late. If it's fever, skin redness, poor milk supply etc, there are many types of resources available (online, support groups etc), my preference is still to see an experienced lactation consultant, who can help you distinguish average breastfeeding problems vs something more serious.

Super Mum

Supplements to prevent blockage, what do u recommend?

5y ago

Lecithin is a commonly used supplement. However, I feel the best way to prevent/relieve clogged ducts is still to latch frequently and empty the breast effectively. Consider calling Thomson ParentCraft Centre at 6251 4090 to make an appointment with a lactation consultant for more indepth advice

VIP Member

This would be so useful during my bf time.

How to reduce breastmilk. Keep getting engorged!

5y ago

I'll have to ask you to consider a few things: How old is your LO now? How frequent is the schedule? Are you latching on one side each time, or both? Are you familiar with the concepts of foremilk and hindmilk? What I see in many of my patients: as babies go through a growth spurt, they nurse more, but each latch, the baby only gets the foremilk, and keeps getting hungry. So the breast is "over stimulated" and never emptied. Consider calling Thomson ParentCraft Centre at 6251 4090 to make an appointment with a lactation consultant for more indepth advice

The lump is painful, is it cancer?

5y ago

Breast cancers almost never cause pain. Pain in the breast/chest area is frequently due to hormonal changes, not enough bra support, or muscle strain! It's such a common problem, and women see a doctor in a panic, but most of them are fine. For some, the doctor's checkup will reveal a breast cancer- but the cancer is not the cause of the pain.

VIP Member

How can we prevent mastitis?

5y ago

Dear Tina, TQ for the Qn- common query! Breast feeding has a range of normal hormonal changes, which are normal: engorgement, block ducts- which should be resolved within the next 1-2 feeds. Mastitis is an infection- with fever, redness and pain- you should see a doctor to get a course of antibiotics. To reduce the chance of mastitis- simple answer is "latch on time, and empty the breast" as much as you can. Consider calling Thomson ParentCraft Centre at 6251 4090 to make an appointment with a lactation consultant for more indepth advice

VIP Member

Thanks for sharing

VIP Member

💕