Ask the Expert Series: Breastfeeding

Start asking away, if you have questions all about breastfeeding, as our expert Dr Tan Yia Swam will be answering your questions on breastfeeding ??

Ask the Expert Series: Breastfeeding
38 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Why is it some mothers have too much supply of breastmilk whilst others have little to none?

5y ago

Every women is different: in terms of breast size, amount of breast tissue, nutrition. But almost every woman will be able to produce enough for her own baby (or twins!). Eat well, stay hydrated; have confidence-> latch often, feed on demand, and the supply will build up over time. Consider calling Thomson ParentCraft Centre at 6251 4090 to make an appointment with a lactation consultant for more indepth advice

How do we tell the difference between a lump from blocked ducts and abscess?

5y ago

Ladies- be familiar with your own breasts! Every woman is different, in terms of lumpiness, body fat, size/shape, how much hormones affect the texture. Breast tissue itself has a lumpy consistency, and that swells up and becomes more sensitive when menses coming, or during pregnancy. A breast lump will feel like a new area of thickening, or a distinct round ball/marble within the breast. Blocked ducts get bigger over time, and disappears after a feed. An abscess will be hot, red, painful-> imagine a giant pimple. It takes a bit of experience to know the difference, so please learn to do a breast self examination!

VIP Member

Is it a must to see a doctor when your have mastitis? Or will it clear on its own?

5y ago

Short answer- Yes. Breast feeding has a range of normal hormonal changes, which are normal: engorgement, block ducts- which should be resolved within the next 1-2 feeds. Mastitis is an infection- with fever, redness and pain- you should see a doctor to get a course of antibiotics. If left untreated, it may progress to a milk collection (galactocele), and progress further to an abscess.

VIP Member

If I already stop breastfeeding a year ago, is it possible to breast feed again?

What are the ways to avoid these breastfeeding complications in the first place?

5y ago

First time mummies: in most breastfeeding friendly hospitals, the ward should be providing you with info on how to watch for hunger cues. Latch early, latch often" - to increase supply, and to empty the breast Breast feeding has a range of normal hormonal changes, which are normal: engorgement, block ducts- which should be resolved within the next 1-2 feeds. Be familiar with breast self exam-> to identify areas of engorgement/block ducts

Is it ok to breastfeed if I am on medication for long term?

5y ago

Good questions! Do check with your main doctor who prescribed the medications. Some general guides: Doc should discuss with you the pros/cons of each medication eg. diabetic control, meds for thyroid conditions, psychiatric conditions etc- should be continued. Ask your doc regarding specific side effects, and whether alternatives are suitable. DO not stop any long term med on your own.

VIP Member

How to stop breastfeeding naturally without taking medication?

5y ago

Once breast/nipple stimulation is less, the hormone (prolactin) will decrease. To wean naturally, just gradually prolong the timing between feeds/pumps, and reduce the amount each time. Consider cold compress. You may also ask your GP/gynae for a dose of "anti-hormone" (Brand name Dostinex) to have a quick-stop, but it is not immediate. You will need to relief pressure from your breasts.

VIP Member

My friend told me to try cabbage leaves, does that work?

5y ago

Cabbage leaves (or any kind of cold compress) helps in relieving symptoms of engorgement. It will not help with abscesses. If your fever/redness/lump is more than a day, do see a doctor to get medical opinion, and to start antibiotics if necessary. There are antibiotics which are safe in breastfeeding.

why is my milk supply so low? and how to boost it

5y ago

This is a common question- there are many folk remedies advised- most do not harm, but I am not sure about the scientific proof. The basic fact is, the more stimulation the nipples/breast get, the more your body will produce the necessary hormone (prolactin), to stimulate milk production. If a mummy loses confidence and supplements with formula, that feed is replaced and we lose a chance to increase production. My personal belief is "fed is best"- there are many schools of thought. In the beginning 2-3 weeks, we have to allow for baby to catchup the lost birth weight, so must feed "enough". Give your body time to build up supply. Take care of yourself, eat well, drink enough fluids, get as much rest as possible.

My breasts are very lumpy, how do I know it is normal?

5y ago

Breast tissue itself has a lumpy consistency, and that swells up and becomes more sensitive when menses coming, or during pregnancy. A breast lump will feel like a new area of thickening, or a distinct round ball/marble within the breast. It takes a bit of experience to know the difference, so please learn to do a breast self examination! Breast self examination is a simple and convenient way to check for breast problems. You can start from teenage years once your breasts have developed. There are many online resources to teach you how to do, even Youtube videos. My very practical advice is, do in the shower, with a bit of soap and water. Look for skin changes, then touch and press down firmly on every part of the breast. Last step press on the nipple to check for nipple discharge. Do this once a month. Once you are more familiar with your own body, you will be more confident in detecting any abnormalities.