My boy is now 4 months old and I have just got a helper as I need her to take care of LO under my parents' supervision while I go to work..Any tips to smoothen the transition?My boy is very clingy to me now...

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Here is what my friend did when she had to return to work and had to get her mother-in-law to come over to play the role of the primary caregiver to her baby: - Introduce them and gradually increase their exposure to each other Her in-law will be around whenever she feeds, bathe and change her baby. Her mother-in-law would also hold the baby (for as long as the baby allow) everyday. Slowly, MIL started taking over some tasks while my friend stood around to make the baby comfortable. - Left baby with MIL Starting with very short intervals, my friend would leave the room while baby and MIL gets some time on their own. If baby starts crying, she would wait a couple of minutes (not too long) before going in. Slowly, her baby got used to her MIL and learn to trust MIL as another caregiver. And like what Vanessa mentioned, she also kept explaining and reassuring her baby throughout the process. Took quite awhile for the transition but most important thing was that baby eventually got comfortable with her MIL. Hope this helps!

Read more

You will need to allow yr boy to adapt to yr helper else when u go back to work, he will suffer. At least if u train early, he won't cry so badly when the time comes. Also, do share with him bu talking to him abt u going back to work. He may not know how to respond to u but he will understand you. Trust me. Kids are very smart nowadays.

Read more