Scared to take care of baby alone

Just birthed a 7 day old baby. Much as I love him a lot, I am feeling SO afraid and am extremely lack of confident when my nanny leaves after 1st confinement month. Second month onwards my husband will be working mainly with long hours and I'll be left alone with baby with no help from anyone. I am scared I cannot handle baby alone, etc the crying / unable to settle him. Feeling a little depressed now. Any tips anyone?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I feel you! this is exactly what I went through and my baby is currently turning 3 months soon. I'll be honest with you, there will be bad days and you'd probably need your husband/family more than ever on those days. it's ok to seek help from family/friends or people you trust. don't be afraid to ask for help. slowly, you'll get the hang of it! I still have days where I feel that I can't handle my baby. I will take a breather and slowly try out different ways to soothe my baby. if it's really impossible to do so, I'll call my husband and he will come home from work taking urgent leave (this happened once). Else, I call up my parents and ask for help. I think it's important to take care of yourself as well. take care of your mental, emotional and physical health. do seek help if you need! all the best mummy! you can do it! take one day at a time. ☺️

Read more
VIP Member

Don't worry mama! I was at the exact situation :) you will know what to do with mama's instinct. We actually moved our baby to our room 1 week prior to the nanny leaving, to get ourselves use to the night shifting and handling of baby. So, we don't feel so lost when the confinement nanny left. Day time with the nanny guidance, I also got the nanny to teach us how to bath the baby, change diaper and you can get the nanny to share tips with you. Jiayou mama!

Read more

Eventually you will get used to it. In my first month, my hubby was the one taking care of baby. When he suddenly had to go back office, i was overwhelmed, didnt really rest during my confinement. I guess its normal to feel depressed.. even at 4.5mths now i still feel i cannot handle my ger despite theres times i actually could handle..

Read more

We all learn along the way as well, don't put so much pressure on yourself. It'll be good to note down feeding/sleep schedule and the cues baby give before they fuss/poop etc

just relax and don't think so much. take a step at a time. get family members or friends to help. chores that are not urgent put aside, wait till husband is home then do

VIP Member

Anyone can be with you at home etc, you can Ask your nanny now on baby schedule and note it down. It helps a lot!

VIP Member

Don’t worry much Mummy… it’s a first time for everyone of us … jus be gentle and calm