am i a bad mother for leaving baby home alone?

I left my baby alone at home for a few minutes to grab something from the store nearby. he was asleep tho... Now, I'm feeling incredibly guilty. 😔 Am I a bad mother for leaving my baby alone, even for just a short errand? I've never done this before, usually, i will take him wherever but he was so fussy and cried a lot that day meanwhile i need to get this thing done. And now I can't shake off this feeling of guilt. I dont know what to do... I might not be privileged enough to have someone accompanying my baby while i was away. so really dont know what to do.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

What’s most important is that baby is safe, so don’t dwell on it too much since it already happened. In the future maybe try baby wearing him and bringing him along? 😊 You won’t know when will your little ninja starts flipping/wriggling/crawling, so to be safe, best to bring him along next time. If you have close neighbours, can probably reach out to them and ask if they can grab the things you need from the store instead too 😊.

Read more
4w ago

I rem a saying, we are all making the best decision we can with the given resources we have at hand at the moment. motherhood is tough so hope you won't beat yourself up too much for it. but yah, I would think it would be best to bring your baby along the next time if possible

U are definitely not a bad mother! Everyone makes bad decisions at times. May I suggest to not leave the baby alone. I used to handle my baby alone too. What I do is to just wait till the baby is awake or just put him / her in a carrier /stroller. Just take it as a leisure walk with the baby…

Install cctv? Place baby inside cot ah? How old your baby? Can flip n turn alrdy? When came back still sound asleeep? I understand you felt guilty, it happened alrdy, luckily baby is okay.. focus on the present, dont dwell in the past. Take care of yourself, mummy's health very impt too :)

Hey mummy, it's a one off incident, and he's fine now. Just tell yourself tt next time you'll definitely bring your baby with u:) Don't beat yourself up over it for too long.

Hmmm its a ine time thing but please dont do it again. Anything can happen to baby in a split second, no matter how safe the environment is. But whats past is past.

yes, but please bring your baby along with you next time no matter how short it is. you don't want to come home and regret.

Just make sure the baby is in a safe place. What happened has happened. Double up the love for baby from now on

Please don’t do that. Anything can happen for a few mins. Bring him along next time.

Yes, it was a one-time thing and only a few minutes… it’s fine