Do I sound rude?

Before I got pregnant even till before I give birth, I underestimated the love I have towards my baby. Back then when taking care of my niece/nephews, I get annoyed and impatient really quickly. Now my baby keeps me awake all day long and occasionally cries yet I feel happy. I became really protective of my baby (first baby). My mil keeps asking my husband to bring my baby to see his grandmother (which we probably visit during new year and the last is 2 years back). I have no issues, but my baby is barely a week old. She hasn’t got her vaccinations done nor is her immune system built up yet, I’m really worried and annoyed. Is it wrong for me to feel this way?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I told my husband "If they make me happy, I'll bring the baby over. If I'm not happy, nobody be seeing the baby. " And I make it a point anywhere baby goes, only if mummy is also there. No such thing as bring baby and leave mummy behind. Heck care " mummy personal time" " let mummy rest". When people say that it sounds fake. Right? Like "Oh since when you care about my wellbeing? Only when you want to see the grandkids, right?" So, no I don't need "rest" time, right now I want to be with my kids. You gave birth to the baby, you have the say, make it a point. Don't care people say overprotective whatever. Its not the time to be less than overprotective.

Read more

I personally felt that 1 week old is too young to go out for visiting. Maybe you can try to talk to your husband? Your husband will explain it to his mother. My baby is 2 months now. Til now, we try not to have any visitors due to covid and other viruses. Only allow close family members and go out to visit mil, my mum house and for doctor appointments. During the first month, we make sure anyone who visits wash their hands and only look, cannot carry baby😅 ( because my baby was hospitalised at 2.5 weeks old due to viral infection. And we don’t want to go through that again)

Read more

I would feel worried and annoyed too! Your baby is barely a week old, which means you are still in early days of your confinement - you ought to be resting fully at home, and not be dragged out to visit someone you and your husband are not even close to! If you agree to this, your MIL may continue imposing such inconvenience on you without any regards to you. Please don't think it's wrong of you to feel this way. We didn't make babies to fulfill our parents'/in-laws' wishes. Our babies come first.

Read more
2y ago

Totally agree and soon I will be facing such issues as @c

Ehh that's too soon. After I give birth I'm keen to bring the babies over to my grandparents because I think it will make them happy, but even then I think I'll only do that after the first month. They can see photos before that, or we can chaffeur them to our house.

Not wrong. Baby health and safety should always come first. If need be, can zoom online with the grandmother. Else, ask them to wait until baby is bigger to bring over. Your husband should step up and be firm on this to help you out. Take care.

VIP Member

Not really.. it’s absolutely normal to feel so