Our baby's doctor is not pro breastfeeding. Our baby is 13 months old and her weight has dropped, which is why the doctor asked my wife to use formula milk. However, I think breast milk is better than formula. What should my wife do?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Same scenario happening to me. my paed told me to supplement with fm as baby's weight is in 10 percentile. paed mentioned that my milk could be low in calories as ive gone back to work n has occasionally skipped meals due to heavy workload. (my breastmilk is not lacking in nutrition as baby is very active n well therefore slow weight gain is due to calorie intake). paed also said at this age babies r vry active and need more calories. is ur wife an oversupplier? does ur wife have extra breastmilk? if so, fret not, tell ur wife to store her extra breastmilk in little bottles/containers in the fridge for at least 2days. (for the cream to rise) afterwhich, everyday, use a clean spoon to scrape off the thick layer of fat n cream from the milk and add it to baby's daily expressed bottle of milk or just feed baby directly (may be a bit cold this way though). (do not stir or shake the milk when doing this step!) u will see that the milk at the bottom is slightly translucent as it is mainly water left after the cream has separated. u can use this leftover as milk bath. supplement baby with the cream as often as u can and u will see baby's weight increase without the use of formula!!! what they need now is just more fats. oh ya, get ur wife to increase her calorie intake too! :) my baby's weight has gone up. breastfeeding rocks! press on no paed is going to get us breastfeeding mamas to give up ;) ;) ;)

Read more

Hey, I definitely agree that breast milk is the best food your baby can have, but then again, there is an age for everything. Now that your baby is 13 months old, there is a need for more nutrition, which maybe your baby is missing out by having only breastmilk (if there is a decrease in weight as you mentioned). It is very much possible that your wife's milk supply has now gone down, and as a result, your baby is not getting the required quantity. Take the recommendation of the doctor and try a formula to see if it helps with the weight gain. In the meanwhile, continue giving your baby healthy solids too.

Read more

just keep breastfeeding! beyond 12 mths of age, kids only need milk for calcium. their main source of nutrition is longer milk (unlike newborn up till 1yo), and instead food is their main source of nutrition. i find that avocados are packed with lots of nutrition, vitamins and high in healthy fat, a good snack to offer to kids! :)

Read more

baby is big and breastmilk might not be sustaining enough despite its high nutrition. eventually baby will have to be introduced to other food types so it will be easier when weaning time comes🤗try formular , get the best. I use lactogen formulae for my 12 months

Your wife can breastfeed along with giving formula milk to the baby. Since, the baby must be eating solid foods as well, so lack of nutrition will not happen. You can also take a second opinion too and rest your doubts. :)

VIP Member

Nothing wrong with formula milk. Those mothers with less milk are usually asked to give formula milk. In Singapore the formula milks are of good quality and nothing less than breast milk in quality.

13 months old babies do not really depend on milk. They also get nutrition from solid food, so your wife can keep breastfeeding instead of using formula.

Mix nyo nlng...... baka Hindi na sapat ang milk ng wife mo po lumalaki na kc si baby.... if ayaw nyo ng formula milk bawi nlng kayo sa pagkain 💪

Babies at 13 months will rely on solids too. Then supplement with breastmilk :)

breastfeeding is not enough for her age...give solid foods also