Our baby's doctor is not pro breastfeeding. Our baby is 13 months old and her weight has dropped, which is why the doctor asked my wife to use formula milk. However, I think breast milk is better than formula. What should my wife do?

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Same scenario happening to me. my paed told me to supplement with fm as baby's weight is in 10 percentile. paed mentioned that my milk could be low in calories as ive gone back to work n has occasionally skipped meals due to heavy workload. (my breastmilk is not lacking in nutrition as baby is very active n well therefore slow weight gain is due to calorie intake). paed also said at this age babies r vry active and need more calories. is ur wife an oversupplier? does ur wife have extra breastmilk? if so, fret not, tell ur wife to store her extra breastmilk in little bottles/containers in the fridge for at least 2days. (for the cream to rise) afterwhich, everyday, use a clean spoon to scrape off the thick layer of fat n cream from the milk and add it to baby's daily expressed bottle of milk or just feed baby directly (may be a bit cold this way though). (do not stir or shake the milk when doing this step!) u will see that the milk at the bottom is slightly translucent as it is mainly water left after the cream has separated. u can use this leftover as milk bath. supplement baby with the cream as often as u can and u will see baby's weight increase without the use of formula!!! what they need now is just more fats. oh ya, get ur wife to increase her calorie intake too! :) my baby's weight has gone up. breastfeeding rocks! press on no paed is going to get us breastfeeding mamas to give up ;) ;) ;)

Read more