My baby is 9month old now. She needs to breastfeed to sleep every night. Am I creating a bad habit by allowing baby to breastfeed to sleep? She still will wake up 3-4times in the mid night to suck for comfort. Refuse hugging to sleep. What should I do?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

By 4 to 5 months, they should have already accustomed to a bedtime routine. Hence, at 9 mths, they are used to being latched for milk and also for comfort. You can try to break the routine by patting her to bed or give her pacifier if she has or let her cry out. My boy used to suck for comfort at early 3mths but i broke his routine and ignore his cries. Unable to see me going to him for comfort, he cried for about 5 mins and went back to sleep. it continued for a good 3 to 4 days before he successfully slept through the nights till now he is 2.5yo. Baby is highly adaptable and flexible. Remain calm and remember, it is ok to let baby cries for while with supervision but too long, is no good as they will have "wind."

Read more
8y ago

Thanks for your suggestion :) But this is definitely not my solution. I believe this will make my baby loses the opportunity to build trust in his care giving environment.