At what age do you need to start visiting a kids dentist?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Your child's first visit to the dentist should happen before his or her first birthday. The general rule is six months after eruption of the first tooth. Taking your child to the dentist at a young age is the best way to prevent problems such as tooth decay, and can help parents learn how to clean their child's teeth and identify his or her fluoride needs. After all, decay can occur as soon as teeth appear. Bringing your child to the dentist early often leads to a lifetime of good oral care habits and acclimates your child to the dental office, thereby reducing anxiety and fear, which will make for plenty of stress-free visits in the future.

Read more

Your child's first visit to the dentist should happen before his or her first birthday. The general rule is six months after eruption of the first tooth. Taking your child to the dentist at a young age is the best way to prevent problems such as tooth decay, and can help parents learn how to clean their child's teeth and identify his or her fluoride needs. After all, decay can occur as soon as teeth appear. Bringing your child to the dentist early often leads to a lifetime of good oral care habits and acclimates your child to the dental office, thereby reducing anxiety and fear, which will make for plenty of stress-free visits in the future.

Read more

Ideally, your child should go the dentist by her first birthday, but it's generally fine to wait until 2 or 3.  Taking your child to the dentist at a young age is the best way to prevent problems such as tooth decay, and can help parents learn how to clean their child's teeth and identify his or her fluoride needs. After all, decay can occur as soon as teeth appear. Bringing your child to the dentist early often leads to a lifetime of good oral care habits and acclimates your child to the dental office, thereby reducing anxiety and fear, which will make for plenty of stress-free visits in the future.

Read more
VIP Member

You can bring your child to visit a dentist when he turn 1 year old. A visit to the dentist can be from learning how to brush his teeth properly, proper dental care like not using the pacifier as it promotes tooth decay. I will suggest you to bring your child to school dental care at HPB near Outram park mrt as it's specially catered for juniors with the equipments & trained staff to handle junior patients. It's also less than $10 if I recall correctly for each visit

Read more

The general guide to bring a child for his/her first visit to a dentist would be by age one or after he/she has the first tooth (whichever earlier). This will help the child get used to subsequent visits and make it a less (hopefully) traumatizing experience as he/she grows up. Subsequent visits could be arranged based on the dentist’s recommendation gauged from looking at child’s dental needs.

Read more

According to AADP, The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, it's recommended that you and your baby visit the dentist around one year or six months after their first tooth has sprouted. Here's a helpful link that can give you more info if you're still a bit confused or skeptical: https://www.deltadentalins.com/oral_health/first-visit-to-dentist.html

Read more

You can start bringing them to the dentist once they have their first tooth at around 6 months to 12 months of age. It will help them get prepared on the procedure of visiting a dentist. Normally they will just do a simple check and it will be done and subsequently, it will be ideal to visit the dentist every 6 months.

Read more

You can take the kid to a dentist around his first birthday. It would be a good time to get the kid used to seeing a dentist setup, the chair and also getting yourself educated on how to care for child's teeth. For more details refer http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/when-should-i-take-my-child-to-the-dentist

Read more

I started sending my son to dentist when he's 4yo, still doing an annual scaling now. Sending your LO at 1yo might be too early as they might not be able to understand what the dentist require them to do. You might wanna send only when your LO is more sensible; probably after 3yo. My two cents.

Read more

I guess, as soon as they get their teeth, visits to the dentist should be regular. And even if you are not visiting the dentist on regular basis, you must keep a check on his dental health. Yourself keep checking baby's teeth to ensure there's no cavity forming.