As part of Filipino myth/tradition is to cut the baby's hair when he turns one and keep it in between pages of a dictionary or bible. They say it's going to help the kid be more intelligent. Is anyone still doing it? Does it really work?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

Yes, I will be doing that. It doesn't really have a scientific proof that it actually works, but let's admit it, we have no choice but to keep up with our traditions. :) It will also be a good souvenir if you can keep the hair of your child. I did that when he had his 1st fingernail cutting. I kept his nails :)

Magbasa pa
2y ago

We live in a world where we have nearly instant access to scientific knowledge, and it's only going to get better. Yet many people still continue to follow traditions and superstitions created in an ancient time where people had no such access. It's not that you have no choice but to keep up tradition (an ironic thing to say, since tradition doesn't change; you'd more accurately keep up with scientific discoveries and remove outdated traditions). You do have a choice, either to break the cycle of misinformation passed from generation to generation and educate your children with real valid information, or to continue passing the misinformation to your children and insist they do the same to their children as well. Clearly you choose the latter, while I choose the former.