How to skip gifting full month baby cake box

Anyone skipped gifting the baby full month cake and red egg box? Not keen on it and would like advice on good excuses to skip it, thanks!! (*not looking for pro-gifting advice here haha). My very very traditional FIL is going to insist that we gift this to our biggggg extended family. Which would mean hundreds of dollars out of our own pockets. How do we best say no to him? They may be our aunts and uncles (i.e. parents' siblings) but I feel it's not necessary cos we are simply not close. Our parents and ourselves only meet them for max 2 hours a year during the obligatory CNY, or slightly more if there's a wedding in the family, and we hardly interact in between. In fact this year we cannot even meet them for CNY'21, or hold full month celebration due to covid visitor restriction rule, so our last contact with them would be CNY'20. Direct aunts and uncles but feel like distant relatives. Really not keen on the whole procedure of calling and asking for all the relatives' addresses and then either having the husband travel around the island to pass the gift box to them individually (we have no nanny or any form of help so I have to tend to newborn at home), or paying courier even more $$ to send them out. 😒 #howtosiam #additionalstress #additionalwork #additionalcost #1stimemom

How to skip gifting full month baby cake box
9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

If to give immediate family (both parents) or your PIL’ and own parents’ siblings are still acceptable. But if to give extended, I don’t agree. As they are “EXTENDED” overall. Furthermore, why take e risk to visit so many people. Best solution is talk to your hubby and ask if he could talk to your FIL. Cheers up and congratulations!

Read more
3y ago

Just my parents and in-laws alone, they alr have about 15 siblings in total. 😅 Give one must give all. That's why I'm not even keen. Picking up 15 boxes and personally travelling to 15 locations (across the West, East, North, Northeast) to pass to these relatives is alr a logistical nightmare to begin with.

Super Mum

Tell ur FIL that you don’t intend to give since it’s extended family. Also, no one wants to travel & deliver the cakes. And now Covid, unsafe for ur hubby to travel around. Plus if he travel to give, who’s gonna help at home? If he still insist, ask him to pay & deliver

3y ago

So many good points you made! Thank you! Am noting these down so my pregnancy brain will remember to use these during our big talk on the full month gift box!

Super Mum

I’d just be honest and tell them exactly what you mentioned here. Further, COVID-19 is a perfect excuse - these are tough times and you want to be able to provide for your little family. Surely they would want the best for their newborn grandchild?

VIP Member

Say the trend is to gift virtual red eggs. And then design a cute gif image of red eggs with your kids photo and send it on WhatsApp to all relatives to announce the birth. 😂

3y ago

Haha is it a trend really?! Sounds like a super cute and ingenious idea though! Love it, but I can already picture the FIL's glare if we were to propose this.😅

Super Mum

Haha I will ask my husband to talk to his father. To me, this is not a big issue. If it makes my PIL happy I would obliged cos its a happy event at home.

TapFluencer

Just explain logically that the money saved can be used for the baby? But get your husband to explain instead

tell him u dont intend to and if he insist, he can pay for it..

3y ago

“father...we are not intending to do this bla bla.. its the covid pandemic now.. everything is uncertain, although we have enough but we would like to save the money instead. We hope u understand..” if he say cannot blablabla then maybe ur hb can say.. in a joking manner.. wah father u wana pay isit? then shrug it off.. end of story.. disperse crowd.

just don’t. since as u mention u guys are not close

TapFluencer

i didnt years ago