Anyone's LO facing the brunt of the 8-10 month sleep regression? How has it been? My boy's naps are all over the place, even when I put him down for nap at the right timing (tired cues: quiet, spacing out), he's resisting to nap and it's causing him to be trapped in an overtired cycle! Almost 5 weeks! He used to nap well (1-2.5h each) and sleeps independently.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, Around this age, baby has sleep regression because of the major developmental changes that he is going through. It is the age by which he is learning to crawl, learning to learn a new language like crazy, as hearing to lots of new words very single day and trying to grasp. This is also the age when he is also getting his teeth. His brain is also developing at such fast pace at this age. So, there are so many things happening to the baby all at the same time that at times there are babies who respond to it by having sleep disturbances. So, to deal with sleep regression, be careful about setting new habits to help babies sleep, like, co-sleep. This phase might be short-term and you have to be patient else, the habit that you will develop in a baby right now in order to make him sleep might stay with him for long. Like, if you are taking him for a drive so that he sleeps easily then remember this is not one time or two time you will have to do. Your baby may pick or like this thing, and would want you to each time take him for a drive when he is having problems in sleeping. So, take the help of the trick that you can continue to carry on. I think, you can sing a lullaby to your baby, put on soft music for him. Make him tired by playing with him or making him play with his toys. Once he is tired enough, he will sleep on his own. Feed him well, so that he doesn't wake up of hunger. Also, do not assume that everything is having because of developmental leap, your baby might be dealing with some problem. It might be colic, earache or any other problem as well. http://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/8-9-10-month-old-baby-sleep-regression-2/?utm_expid=8074202-39.TF5dE2bkQL-LFpcZkGYbgQ.1&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.babysleepsite.com%2Fbaby-sleep-patterns%2Fsleep-regressions%2F

Read more
7y ago

I read up about this too! And no, I don't introduce any sleep associations for my boy. He sleeps on his own and in his cot. Teething doesn't affect him (his teeth are out!) and I am guessing it's also a case where the room is too warm for him to sleep.

My gal had that problem at the 8-9 months period too. It got better again at 10mo but there was a slight shift in her nap period. They are under growing development changes now , most likely learning how to crawl and this will affect their sleeping. While the overall total sleeping hours shouldn't change too much, their napping may need to make adjustment . My gal sometimes take 1 hr to fall asleep. She will crawl all over the bed and I used to keep flipping her back and pin her down to sleep. She will resist and cry. I have since let her just roam on her own, crawling and cruising and flipping as much as she wants before sleeping. When she is tired out From all these she will sleep!!

Read more

Yes my 8 month old LO is also facing some sleep regression. She used to be able to just nap in her room or on my bed during nap hours. Nowadays she will just climb all over me and refuse to nap despite being very tired. What I have resorted to now is putting her in a stroller and just pushing her around just to sleep. She sleeps very fast once she is in the stroller. She also sleeps really fast in a moving vehicle. So on days when I know she is super overtired, I will do either one of the above.

Read more
7y ago

Morning nap shouldn't be the first to go. It's the late afternoon one. They need their first 2 naps all the way till around 13-15MO.

Yes mine too!!! Currently 8 months old, actually day time his naps are ok, the only problem is night time slp. Previously he will slp by himself n sstn. But during his 8 mth now, he can't slp.. always standing n cruising ard in his cot, then in the middle of the night he will do the same things with his eyes closed!!!!

Read more

Because he's dropping the last catnap and we needed to extend his wake time! Otherwise, he's rolling too much in bed until he's too wired up to sleep!