Do you allow your 5 months baby to watch tv? My friend don't allow their baby to watch tv. Even their parents at home are not allow to watch too. But my baby like it when my family member watch tv. I am okay with it, but worried will it be bad for baby. My friend reason for not allowing their baby to watch is because if the baby watch tv they will not study.

76 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I'd say that it's what suits each family best, and also to your personal comfort too - I personally try to limit screen time (YouTube or TV) as much as possible for my son's eyes and development. My son didn't really watch TV much, but he did have quite a lot of YouTube because my parents were helping me to look after him while I was in school and they gave him the phone to have their own screen time (watching TV or playing mobile games). My final straw was when my son had a bad fever and ended up watching YouTube for 10+ hours, not eating, drinking milk or sleeping. I got so mad that I just threw the phone and put everyone on "smartphone rehab" - nobody was allowed to use their phones around my son and they have to be kept out of sight too. Took around 2 weeks before my son officially went without screen time at all, but all that extra time and attention helped him a lot in understanding that screen time wasn't necessary and we bonded so much because everyone was attentive in the moment and not distracted. I know it's a different kind of screen time, but the prolonged effects can be detrimental - I see my cousins, nephews and nieces all stuck on their mobile phones or shows whenever we have family gatherings, even those as young as 6-7 months old. It's not an easy thing to do, but it's definitely possible (and better) to raise kids without electronic/smart devices!

Read more