TV or Handphone near newborn

Hello! FTM here. Currently staying with my husband's great grandma and she always have the TV on and can watch the whole day. She loves to carry our newborn (currently around 1 month plus) and also watch TV at the same time but she will always lower down the volume or watch it without volume so as not to disturb baby. However I m still worried about the glaring screen from TV. Is it okay? I do not want screen time at all for the baby actually but as we are staying with her and place is small, it's unavoidable or not possible to not let her watch TV. Also, my husband sometimes will put baby on chest (she loves it when there is pressure on tummy) - but he will tend to clear work emails or use phone while having baby on chest. Is it okay too?

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

I’m also a FTM. As much as we hope for, it’s close to impossible to stay phone free these days. We managed to go zero tv time until our baby turned 3 months old. Then we started to play Ms Rachel for baby’s entertainment (she loves it!) and it serves as a background sound too (baby doesn’t really watch it when she’s playing). At least your great grandma who is so so senior in the family hierarchy, is willing to watch the tv mute. For that, she has my respect. Just bring the baby away to the room from time to time. Or get out of the house for a walk. That’s what we do.

Read more