My 7yo daughter fell from her bicycle last week and simply refuses to get on again. How do I convince her that it's okay to ride the bike again?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You give her sometime. Do not push her into taking it up too soon, but at the same time do not let a whole lot time pass. As if you will give her more time, the fear may settle in. I have experienced it with my son. Once, he was on a slide in the park and was pretty scared to come down, and I was helping him by holding his arm and making him slide. One day, my husband too accompanied us and seeing this, he told my son that you slide on your own and mamma is not going to hold you but I am here at the bottom for you. My son was reluctant in the beginning but my husband held him in his arms, and affirmatively asked him that do you trust papa? He said, "Yes." And then my husband build that trust in him and make him slide on his own. Trust that when he did it, he felt so proud of himself. So, all I want to say is build that trust in your daughter that nothing will happen and that you are there with her. And initially help her cycle, if need be put support wheels at the back and one by one remove them. Your support and confidence will in turn boost her confidence. Do not show that you are scared of her doing a particular turn on the cycle or the way she rides. Guide her, and she will soon catch up and overcome her fear.

Read more

Right now your kid is still a little shocked and scared. To you right now it must seem as a small incident but waith a few more days. Give him a morale boost that he is growing up and such incidents are a part and parcel of growing into a tough boy. Encourage him and tell him you are there to help him when he gets onto the bike again. You could also share an incident from your childhood when you were learning to ride a bike. Make it interesting and funny for his benefit. :)

Read more

Recently the same thing happened with my son. He had a really bad fall and was shaken. For many days, he refused to cycle even to long distances and preferred to walk. I kept on talking to him, assuring him that accidents don't happen always. He should start cycling for short distances to overcome his fear. He started doing so eventually. Keep on encouraging your daughter!

Read more

Give her some time. Meanwhile keep talking to her giving examples as how she would fall and hurt when she was learning to walk but didn't give up! After a few days encourage her to cycle for short distances with you or your husband around. Keep on instilling confidence in her.