Preschool refusal

Recently after my 2 year old daughter fell sick and had 1 week mc, it has been very difficult for me to get her back into routine. It has always been a challenge to persuade her to go to school but even more so now. She refuses to go to school and throws a tantrum and refuses to wear her uniform. She tells me please don’t leave her and to go to school with her. She will cry at drop off but at the end of the day the teachers tell me that she was played well and enjoyed herself. Any tips to make my mornings better?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

It's quite normal for children to be iffy about school after being sick and spending time at home. They miss u! But for mornings dont skimp on the hugs and kisses. Mentally prep ur daughter the night before that there will be school in the morning and reinforce that u will be there to send her and pick her up. Remind her she is loved and safe even though parent is away again. E.g. 'grown up comes back' song or a book about going to school and reuniting with family at the end. Can try and relate emotions and routine to urs as an adult e.g. Mummy go to work and 'her name' go to school. We can feel sad and lonely its okay. But at the end we will meet again and share our day together. Its tough but it happens. Maybe we can *insert meaningful activity* before bed/weekend? Can simplify words where needed but do remember children understand a lot more than what we give them credit for. They just struggle with internalising and regulating their emotions as efficiently as adults (even some adults cant!). Can also share that parent and teacher do talk alot on the school app or at pickups/calls so if anything happens parent knows too! This helps to reassure kids that a connection is established and they were not 'abandoned'. Lastly at drop off, follow a routine that is standard. E.g. leaving house both parent n child checks bag. Talk about the environment on the way and just communicate familiar things (distraction n reduce anxiety). At school door/gate do ten hugs and kisses or something meaningful for the both of u, and acknowledge teachers presence with a greeting. Then reestablish boundaries and promise that u will always come back later and firmly n gently say goodbye. If child runs back maybe give in for a hug? then walk away steadily. This part sucks and hurts but clear boundaries help. Also always maintain being cool so ur daughter knows she can rely on u emotionally. Looks like a very small matter but this whole scenario is as tough as it can be. Im sharing as a teacher but as a parent im pretty sure ill be bawling outside the school cause i spent all the time with her too😭 Good luck!

Read more

experiencing this, just came back from holiday and having a hard time to bring my boy back to cc. he used to be in half day and happy with it. last week we started to put him in full day, now we cant say school without him responding no school no school. have your girl get better now?

maybe ade mslh kot kt situ