My 5 year old daughter is being taught French in school and she hardly remembers anything. Does it make sense to teach foreign language if the parent doesn't know the language?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You know what, kids are very good at picking up multiple languages, even though it may take time. Just like any other language, this too will need a lot of practice. My daughter also started learning French around the same age, even though me and hubby don't know a word of it! It was tough for her to remember at first, especially as it's something she doesn't use it in her daily life. But we helped her sit each day and study, as well as helped her learn the pronounciation through audio lessons. She's much at ease now. Just let her practice every day and give her time :)

Read more

Yes I think learning a foreign language even if the parents don't know it is good. But some kids just don't have a flair for languages and perhaps prefer certain languages so I think it is better that they have a choice in what foreign languages they want to learn or do they even need to learn it. It is right to say kids have the ability to learn multiple languages when they are young but I read somewhere before that we should only introduce a foreign language after they have established the foundation for their main languages

Read more

Just like any other language be it Hindi or Marathi your child will have to put in a little effort towards it. Childrens minds are like sponges.They can retain a lot more than we can believe. Maybe she is not so interested in the language because she does not hear anyone around her speak it. You should try to encourage her a little more and maybe learn a few basics of the language yourself.

Read more

nowadays thru computers u can learn any language. get hold of sites that playfully teach by pictures and videos about the language u want to learn. even if u don't know the language u can sit with her and endeavor to learn it together. learning a language opens up certain areas of the brain that really help in the long run... shes at the best age to learn languages. don't stop...

Read more

It makes sense. But in later years,kids need to practice foreign language at home too.....thats not possible when parents do not know the language. Unless you spend extra on out of school tuitions. Though I am planning to take Mandarin classes (son of 4yrs has Mandarin) next year.

My daughter is being taught Chinese in school. In kindergarten. She speaks it when she comes home. I am proud of her for it but a little part of me wonders will she ever use this? And I don't like not knowing what she's saying lol.

I have studied about electric bikes for about ten years. I think the 3 big advantages of electric bikes, compared with traditional bicycle, is that electric bike has no chain, so it can't be broken. https://nonoyfifi.com/138189-2/

you are asking about learning English outside of school then I would have to say that I'm not certain how helpful it is for everyday life applications like work or shopping trips.

My sister has same problem 🤔she is live Mumbai . My sister hires teacher for French language .