Why are the Indian mothers so possessive about their sons?

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

There are two things at play here: 1) The son is an offspring of the mother. It is natural to get possessive about one's offspring. 2) Although things are changing now, Indian culture has long upheld sons more than daughters. Reasons are traditional โ€” sons are natural heirs of family and property, become breadwinners of the family, and take care of parents in old age; daughters usually move out to their husbands' place. This distinction has been passed on to mothers over generations. However, in today's age, I don't think Indian mothers are any less possessive about their daughters than they are about their sons.

Read more

as an indian myself growing up with some indian teachings, my mother would always reminds us all that we ( me and my other older sisters) that once we get married we will belong to our husband and his family. thus, making my brother( the only boy) the most favourable one even when im the youngest๐Ÿ˜‚. but i myself am not going to follow that. every child should be treated equally with love and respect.

Read more

First time hearing this...Im not Indian but Im possessive Mom to my son.Why?He was born preemie and we thought that he will not survive his ordeal,we almost lost this kid.He is now 4 years old,typical toddler who thinks he can do everything by himself...but I still see him as that tiny fragile baby who can barely move in his NICU isolette (I know,I had to get pass this stage and accept that he is a growing boy)

Read more

Indians in general believe that sons are their "properties and assets". They believe that they are their "budhape ka sahara" and hence become too possessive. Every mother is possessive about her children but she needs to know where to draw the line. Most Indian mothers believe that once the wife comes the son will not love her, which is not right. Priorities change with time but love doesn't.

Read more

Mothers are so possessive about their sons as they feel that they have given them birth and provided everything so that he can serve when they get old. But parents irrespective of whether a son or daughter, kids do have to right to take care of their parents. It's an old mentality of son being and investment and daughter for marriage purposes.

Read more

Because they think that male's are inferior to women. They spoil them so much to the point where they are adult babies. Their sisters and wife's are taught to be serving them like kings and they can't do anything on their own. India also has the highest rate for female fetus abortions. As soon as they find out it's a girl they kill it.

Read more
4y ago

Not only some part all over india. Gender reveal is crime in india.

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-11967)

I don't think it's a race issue but rather any mother issue.

VIP Member

Hmmm really? 1st time hear of this

Maybe it's mother's love