Why is formula milk so expensive

Why is formula milk so expensive? I mean there are just 2 or 3 brands that are cheaper like dulac and Grow. The rest are in 50s and 60s dollars range. Is it true that the more expensive ones are better? Or is this just another consumerism or customers are just paying unnecessary cost factors for the company like their campaigns, marketing etc.

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

recently saw a documentary on milk powder in SG by CNA, and one of their findings is that the more expensive brands have better sales revenue as sg parents tend to trust that they have better quality. but if you look at the contents, most of them are more or less the same. and some of the added benefits as advertised may not be easily absorbed by the human body too. so i dont necessarily think more exp = better.

Read more

Not necessary. Some babies can only take the cheapest milk while some can only take the expensive ones. It all depends on your baby’s acceptance. The ingredients, country of manufacturing and brand name probably contributed to the prices. An example would be haidilao vs normal hotpots. HDL is expensive but may not taste as good as old school hotpots 😂.

Read more
1y ago

😅😅😅😅 consumerism game

Actually no one is not allowed to do marketing or campaigning for formula milk below stage 3. Whether the milk is good or not depends on the nutritional factor and what you baby can take. Not based on price. Some milk that is too nutritious, like high DHA and what not May cos indigestion to some baby.

Read more

Not necessary. I think they taste differently cause my toddler had milk rejection when she was younger. It was till when we changed an expensive milk (Illuma by Wyeth Nutrition) then she finally accepted it and drank. She tried Dulac, Nan, Bellamys Organic, Friso and Similac.

there are many budget brands around. Fairprice has it's house brand, and Nature One is what my daughter prefers. they are both less than $30 per kg. my friend does food science research and says that they are generally the same. so just try and see if your kid can take it.

TapFluencer

Exp or not exp also depends what brand your child takes. Anyway, having a kid is exp so hahahahahahaha i guess it’s safer also la to buy milk powder in sg atleast we know is of good quality and imported from where. Exp but it’s also quality and safety assurance?

I think the price for most of the milk powder is quite reasonable. let's say it's $60 per tin but your kid finishes it in about 7-10 days, if you divide, it only costs ~$6-8 per day. It's actually cheaper than our adult meals, isn't it?

1y ago

Agree.

cause maybe they follow by stage like grow stage 1 $18.30 and grow stage 3 roughly around $30+ to 40+ that was so expensive...but other brand like similac,S26 for infant was so damn expensive

VIP Member

If that's what the baby can accept, also not much of a chioce right. I randomly tried certain brands, the results I get, BB gets rashes / vomitting/ constipation/ diahorea.

Look for formula milk brands which have medical associations approved claims such as IQ and EQ development in your child which Enfagrow has. Don't go with the cost so much.

1y ago

I should start asking doctors' and lawyers' parents what milk did they give.