Is I can read program that good for phonics?I find their prices are the most expensive out of so many program. It is $500+ for both week days and weekends . Is it really worth to give it a try?or is there other good phonics program which are more affordable ? I am residing in Yishun .

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Just simply because a child attend an enrichment class would not bring drastic changes. Enrichment class of 1.30 hour a week alone would not suffice to enrich a kid. Parents should follow up what was taught in last class and should put efforts to read the lessons to kid and narrate the stories in a funny way. Kids should read the lessons to parents atleast six times before they go to next class. Parents can bring in additional enrichments by teaching synonyms, antonyms, simple grammars like using appropriate tense while teaching a class lesson to kid. I felt this approach really worked to my five years old kid. No point in sending to English enrichment while you still keep conversing with your kid in Singlish. Always remind him to not to practice Singlish.

Read more

Yes , I also feel I can read program is slower pace. Every week, I noticed that the homework is still at writing and tracing letters even my boys already know by finger of all alphabets and phonics sound . Something isn't right that my boy is learning backwards.I decided to withdraw him after 6 months . What I also don't like is , the recep always push parents out of their center after we send our children there.Whats the hurry?? And don't make sense what so secretive on their program and also parents are requested to pay 2 weeks in advance before the term starts. What's the hurry ??

Read more

My boy has been to I can read for 6 months and I stop him after that. I did not see much improvement on him so I decided to stop him. Their pace is rather slow and when we told the teacher our concern, he feels my boy is doing well. I think it's really up to individual and different teacher. I do have friends who have good review on I can read. So perhaps try out their trial first than decided. I would recommend phonics class from KRTC as I see good result in my boy. Keep your option open and look around more for different choices.

Read more
8y ago

Thanks! Can you advise how much you spend on phonics lesson?

Without having the knowledge of any other English enrichment classes, I would rate the methodology of I can read it is good. If a kid already knew the tracing of letters, the centre cannot customise the course to suit a particular kid because when a kid is enrolled in a particular level, teachers have to follow a designed syllabi for that level.

Read more
8y ago

This is just another business model for enrichment class. Of course teacher cannot cater to every kids of their own ability. But if a child already know what is taught , the center should not hinder their ability and should progress them to the next level. This will somehow affect a child wanting to know or to explore further what they are capable of.

my boy went for 1 term at Icanread. totally useless . they put him in a slower class until i question them when i see his book . they re-access him again and promote him to the higher level class . i told them they are wasting my money and time . i withdraw him out

you can try icreative. i see good results in my gal. they emphasize alot on reading. so they not only learn phonics they learn to read and understand.

Learning for kids should be moderately paced, it should not be fast paced. As such, I think "I can read it" pace is quite optimum.