11 Replies

At first, you may find it easier to clean your baby's teeth using a piece of clean gauze or muslin. Wrap it around your finger, put a tiny smear of toothpaste on it, and rub it around your baby's teeth.  If you'd rather use a baby toothbrush, pick one with soft nylon bristles and a small head. This will allow you to reach all parts of your baby's mouth easily and comfortably as each new tooth emerges. Look at the packaging to see what age range the brush is designed for.  Replace your baby's toothbrush regularly, about every one month to three months. If the bristles start to spread out, it's a sign that the toothbrush needs changing. Toothpaste should not be used on babies younger than the age of two, because babies cannot expectorate (spit it out).

Just to note, it is important that your child uses the appropriate toothpaste for the appropriate age. They have suitable levels of fluoride for a specific age group. Children toothpastes tend to be quite "tasty" and so kids may consume them. If they ingest a significant amount of fluoride while their adult teeth are developing, the adult teeth will tend to have white or yellow spots around them called fluorosis or hypomineralisation. This weakens the teeth and are more prone to tooth decay in the future. Furthermore, they are usually unaesthetic. On the other hand, correct amounts of fluoride is essential in preventing tooth decay and maintaining the health of the teeth. So please continuing using the toothpaste!

Good infant oral health starts from birth. Before the eruption of your baby's first primary tooth at around 6 months of age, you should regularly wipe your child's gums with wet wipes or a soft cloth especially after feeding to keep the mouth clean. Upon eruption of your child's first teeth, the use of a soft, small headed children's toothbrush is encouraged twice a day, once in the morning but more importantly once at night before bed. At age 1, take your child to a paediatric dentistry who will advise on use of toothpaste based on your child's risk factors.

Baby teeth care can begin as soon as baby's first tooth shows through the gums. You can use a clean, damp washcloth, a gauze pad, or a finger brush to gently wipe clean the first teeth and the front of the tongue, after meals and before bedtime. You can also use a soft-bristled baby toothbrush and lightly brush baby's teeth. Only water is needed for now and toothpaste should not be used on babies younger than the age of two, because they cannot spit yet.

Once the teeth begin coming in, look for a baby toothbrush with a small head and grip suitable for your hand. If they're not cared for properly they can decay, leading to a gum infection called gingivitis, which can affect the spacing of permanent teeth. Begin using a pea-size amount of non-fluoride toothpaste once Baby is about 2. Wait until at least 3, when your child is old enough not to swallow the toothpaste, before introducing the fluoride kind.

For me I will wipe his tongue daily since birth Bt at times it's not ez. I Usuali do it doing his bath time twice a day. He had his teeth at 8 months so I gave him those teether toothbrush to 'self clean'. Otherwise is as Usual his bath time Thn I use clean cloth to wipe his teeth and gums. Will introduce him toothpaste only aft 18 months or later after

VIP Member

i started the tooth brushing around 18months. I will start off with just toothbrush with no toothpaste to get them familiar with routine and how it is. Once he is able to learn out to spit (practice with water first) then i will start with toothpaste. I just use those normal toothpaste which can be found in supermarkets

Oral habits start from young and should be cultivated even as young as a few months old. You can use a damp cloth to gently wipe their gums and tongue. It makes it easier to introducing teeth brushing when they are older.

I started cleaning with dental wipes the moment he started solids. Then when there is teeth, I switched to toothbrush

When your child starts grown her teeth from that time

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles