When is a good age to introduce my newborn to our family dog?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Right from day 1 when you bring baby home. Here are some tips from the dog whisperer on how to introduce your newborn to your furkid: https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-training/socialization/introduce-your-dog-to-your-baby Short summary, familiarize your dog with the scent of your newborn by letting it sniff something that has your newborn’s scent first before bringing the baby home. Establish clear boundaries (such as the nursery room being off-limits). Bring your dog out for a long walk to expend his/her energy on the day you are bringing your baby home. Control the introduction. Do not bring the baby too close to the dog during their first meeting (this will teach the dog to respect the baby as another pack leader). Teach your baby to respect the dog as well. Supervise their interactions as they get more familiar with each other. Also, remember to continue to shower your dog with love and attention. Keep to their routine walks to help the dog feels secure despite the changes in the house. In general, all my friends with dogs/pets at home remarked that their pets are incredibly sensitive, gentle and caring towards their newborn, even allowing the newborn to poke and pull at their fur without retaliating. Still, your baby’s safety is important so always keep a close eye on them while they are playing.

Read more

I had confinement at my mums place, and they knew each other ever since day 1 we discharged . My dog was actually a little too jumpy at first, was afraid he would accidentally jump on my son. So we will hold onto him and let him smell. My dog always call for us when the baby cries. Now my son always go sayang my dog(except he didnt realise it's actually kind of like smacking him), but my dog enjoyed getting smacked by my son anyway. Now, They will race each other too.

Read more

since day 1 discharge from hospital. initially dog will be super scare of bb cries... After a while used to it. and when bb sleeps, dog also sleeps nearby like protecting. though now elder boy about 21 mths also smack my 2.5 kg dog.. but they still like to play chase together. now my dog will sleep near youngest boy of 1.5 mth... the boys are used to my dog once in a while bark.

Read more

i did it straight when my LO came home! I did let my dog smell, but not lick, and prevented my dog from jumping all over. Subsequently, my dog got used to her existence and my baby is turning 6mths, and have been always excited to touch and see my dog!

ikut meramaikan

VIP Member

Gotta check if your child is allergic to furs.

When they are old enough to

After 3 yrs?

After 1 year

Super Mum

Asap