Is it advisable to get a dog when children are around the age of 3? How do pets help to enhance a child's growth?

Post image
21 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

There are a lot of articles and research which supports the idea that children and pets can co-exist. This is because domesticated pets based on research, have a lot of positive benefits to children (of all ages). These articles I've read support the idea that it is safe to have pets at home when you have kids, in fact, even infants: http://ph.theasianparent.com/babies_and_pets_can_they_co_exist/ http://ph.theasianparent.com/puppies-help-babies-lower-risk-asthma-later-life/ The general idea is that pet's hair is theoretically not an allergen as long as you keep your pet clean all the time. There are also studies that kids who are exposed to pets have lesser chance to develop allergies. I believe that having a pet can help a child (even as early as the age of 3) be responsible in small ways. It can also improve him/her emotional growth.

Read more
VIP Member

So I have a dog, a cat and a newborn at home. It's a zoo for sure but it's a house that's full of noise and love. Kitty, doggy and baby all get along. In fact our dog takes it as his responsibilty to protect our newborn and gets very upset with us if we don't tend to her when she's crying. There was an incident where I was attempting to let her cry it out for a few minutes (while sitting on the bed with her), but just not immediately soothing her as I am prone to do. Doggy started barking at me and tugging at my dress to get me to go and look at her. When it realized I was not about to do anything, he took it as his responsibility to go soothe her, and jumped on the bed and nuzzled up close to her as if trying to pat her back to sleep! How amazing is that? So pets and kids - absolutely in my books!

Read more
VIP Member

There are many benefits of raising a child alongside a pet. Having a pet actually strengthens the child's immune system and minimises the risk of allergies, that is unless your child is allergic to fur. It improves family bonding and aids in your child's emotional growth. However, it would be good to ensure that you can commit to looking after the pet as a family member for its entire lifetime and not get a pet for the sake of the child. Along with benefits, there are also disadvantages (?) of getting a pet as it means increased expenses and having to clean up after the pet and training it. http://sg.theasianparent.com/having-a-pet-can-make-your-child-a-better-person/

Read more
VIP Member

It depends on your desire to keep a pet and the ability to maintain one. Yes, having pets can have many positively effects on kids. They teach them empathy, compassion, responsibility, and most of all how to love. I personally love seeing the close bond the kids and our pet have, it’s so beautiful. She waits for the kids to get home from preschool and they all play together till they are all tired and sometimes the even sleep in the same room. Unlike some myths that pets or a dog is unhygienic or not good for your child’s health, I believe in the contrary. It depends on how clean you keep your dog and what you teach your kids. But overall, it’s a great idea.

Read more

I so wished I had a doggie growing up! I would say, go for it! However, realistically speaking, you will also need to consider if you have the bandwidth to take care of the dog. At three, the dog will probably be more of your responsibility and just a playmate for your child. Therefore, while there are many benefits of having a pet, if you do not have enough energy or help to take care of a puppy, I would suggest you wait till your baby is a little older (perhaps 5?) and could help take on some responsibility to take care of the dog together. But of course, if your household to able to handle the new addition, by all means!! :)

Read more

I remember having a pet named Snoopy since the age of 9. Having him was the best thing that could have happened to me in my growing up stages... I used to take him for a walk every evening. Besides, he used to sit next to me when I was studying. If ever I called out to mum or anyone at home for something and they didn't respond, he would run where they were and start barking looking in the direction of my room. A sibling in the true sense he would bark at mum when she used to scold me, come and put his paw on my hand when I was low and crying. His absence is something I feel till date. Pets are a absolute YES!!!!

Read more

If your child is 3, I guess it's perfectly okay to have pets around. Personally, I am not okay with pets if the child is too small, say 1 and under. But then that's just me. Playing with the dog will keep your toddler active. It will also teach him compassion and love for animals, not to mention qualities such as friendship and loyalty.

Read more

Pets and children at any age is an absolute yes for me. In my experience, having a doggie helps a lot in learning responsibility, empathy and kindness towards all creatures. Doggies can teach humans a thing or two about loyalty and friendship as well. We can all be so lucky to have both baby and doggie enrich our lives.

Read more

Yes pets are amazing with kids especially dogs. My friend's kid really enjoy playing with their dog and it keeps the kid busy. There are no health concerns so don't worry about that.

Go for it. They can grow up tgt and be the best mates. I have twins and a furkid. Twins like to play with the dog. But the dog is afraid of them