6 Replies

I personally like Infrared thermometers as they measure heat being emitted by the body. Some infrareds can be difficult to position, but their digital readout takes just 1 to 3 seconds--among the shortest times of all thermometers tested. But these thermometers are also among the most expensive available--and they aren't necessarily more accurate than less-costly digital stick thermometers. Tympanic thermometers measure the temperature inside the ear canal. This type of thermometer is quick and easy to use. The top infrared thermometers in our tests were forehead models. Not surprisingly, the children in our study preferred forehead-type thermometers to oral and ear types. One young participant expressed a common sentiment among testers of forehead thermometers: "It felt really smooth on my forehead and it glided easily." A non-contact infrared thermometer works by holding the thermometer wand an inch or two from your sleeping child's forehead and pressing the button showing two red circles of light on the forehead. Then you move the thermometer closer to or farther from the forehead until the two red circles converge into one red circle and release the button, at which point the temperature is displayed. If your child is restless, it may be difficult to get an accurate temperature. The manufacturer says you can also use this thermometer to measure the temperature of a room or the baby's bath or bottle, but those features were not tested.

VIP Member

I have a Braun Thermoscan 5, which is serving me well. I bought it for $66 off Carousell brand new, but I'm pretty sure it costs cheaper on Amazon or something. Many medical institutions, hospitals and GP clinics use Braun, albeit the higher end and professional models, but I think the models meant for home use work just as well. The readings are accurate and it only takes a few seconds to get a reading. I highly recommend it. There's a newer model, Thermoscan 7 as well! http://www.amazon.com/Braun-Thermoscan-5-Ear-Thermometer/dp/B00PINP5BI/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1459591917&sr=1-2&keywords=thermoscan+5

VIP Member

I personally find that Braun Thermometer is great. http://www.lazada.sg/braun-irt6520-thermoscan-7-digital-ear-thermometer-825462.html

I got those 2in1 ones from shopee less than $20. Tested on ourselves and baby, pretty accurate. Ear and forehead.

thanks