Teaching babies stem

What's the best way to teach babies math, science and programming?

Teaching babies stem
32 Replies

It’s great that you are trying to Tech your baby stem. Start with abacus playing and LEGO

Learning starts from home. I believe the one who's always with them is responsible for whatever they've learned. Instead of forcing them to study, observe first what catches their interests. And you can use those interests to teach them. I didn't teach my 5-yr old daughter who've learned counting and alphabet just by watching CDs of nursery rhymes. I just encourage her and guide her. And correct her whenever I've heard something wrong. Now she know addition and subtraction, can spell number words, and can read fast.

Read more
VIP Member

To add on - for older children (age 5-6), there is new curriculum offered in singapore by technology company JULES called “School of Fish”, targeting preschoolers. School of Fish is basically a game that focuses on a Computational Thinking curriculum. Computational Thinking is a system of understanding and solving problems in a logical way that people and computers can understand. By learning Computational Thinking through games, children can: 1) Recognize patterns (Pattern Recognition); 2) Break problems down into smaller parts (Decomposition); 3) Apply a sequential solution (Algorithmic Thinking); and 4) Re-apply this thought process to other similar problems (Abstraction), in a fun and engaging way.

Read more
Post reply image

Start with games, toys, or songs to impart simple concepts to babies. Explore outdoor and nature to inspire them and to spark their imagination. For programming, you can get the idea on how to teach kids basic concept on programming from here, https://studio.code.org/s/frozen/stage/1/puzzle/1. When they turn older, say 4-5 years old, you can start engaging them with these programming games. Pretty cool tool to learn the concept and logic of programming. (I learned basic programming from there too :P)

Read more

Not sure they can grasp complex concepts yet. So teaching them at this stage involves mostly setting the foundation for their future education. Learning should always be accompanied by entertainment. Little effort is needed since babies/toddlers are like sponges. Encouraging to use their five senses is also good. Games and music also help engage them.

Read more

For babies, you can teach them through games. Use their toys, favourite people, food, etc to teach them basic concepts. Same can be done for science, you have to give a fun demo to get their attention and also visuals help in perceiving things in a much better and quicker way. For programming, you can actually try showing simple maths through code also. I agree you should do it in a fun casual way, don't force this learning.

Read more

For babies and kids, learning basically starts from home. Make use of their five senses in order to enhance their creative thinking and foster curiosity. For babies, you can hang a galaxy-inspired mobile or animals (some even have built-in animal sounds). You can also purchase big puzzle toys that they can play with. Playing and solving puzzles are known to gave positive benefits in early childhood for it boosts physical, cognitive as well as emotional skills. You can also start you child’s interest in math by making your everyday routine (such as eating and taking a bath) fun and exciting. You can let them count their cereals or snacks for example. Choose types of food that are colourful so they will be more engaged.

Read more

_ I am not a coder but I understand a code_ My answer is specific to coding/programming 1. I think start with pseudo code practices with kids. Eg. when you instruct them anything make sure you are creating a pseudo code and then getting them excited about it 2. the first programming language can be 'LOGO' https://turtleacademy.com/ 3. Math is intergral part of programming GET THEM TO KNOW REAL MATH its all in the approach you follow with your kid. 4. Most important DON'T FORCE KIDS into studying science but can test whether they are actually interested in the field. I believe it is not a natural choice for a large number of kids. my 2 cents.

Read more

Kids learn the best when they enjoy doing something, having said that you can impart knowledge to them using interactive games or even real life scenarios (eg. bring them to the supermarket and let them tally up the price of the items)

Read more

haha i don't know if babies understand math, science and programming yet bro. my nephew is still amazed whenever i fake sleep and suddenly wake up hahaha. But I think for math, most standard manner is to find out what your kid likes, example he likes oreos. start counting the oreos, take away one ask your kid how many oreos are left. That should be quite basic and easy enough to start out? if your kid likes mee goreng then ho seh boh ah hahaha. Science can be soap? when your kid is bathing, can show how water + soap = bubbles? Programming idk bro. I want to do my taxes also headache already haha. You try ask your younger cousins about these kinda things. Confirm sure got at least 1 who can point you in the right direction. Good luck bro!

Read more