What do your children call your helper? Auntie? :)

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Usually "Aunty" Well, whether she is married or not, calling her "Aunty" doesn't mean much. It basically teach the kids manners and to be respectful to the helper who will be helping us in our daily lives. We can't be getting our children to call her by name as I believe the age gap is at least 20 years apart. Neither can we get the children to call her "Hey". This is being very disrespectful.

Read more

Same for my friends and neighbours. Mostly "aunty" or "aunty __ (followed by name)". My friends also always emphasize the importance of saying "please" and "thank you" when their children request for help from their helpers. And when it is simple tasks like getting a glass of water, they will get their children to do it themselves.

Read more

Usually from what I heard from my friend's children, they call their helper auntie or kaka (big sister). You can ask your helper which one she prefers. It will be too rude for children to call helpers by their name. Like Vanessa highlighted, it is also to teach them to be respectful of your helper and not take them for granted.

Read more

All the helpers I know so far are Indonesian so it's "Wak" or "Cik" if they are significantly older -- which are all variations of Aunty in Malay or Bahasa Indonesia. If they are younger, usually "Bibik", "Tante" or simply "Kakak" :)

My daughter calls our helper Aunty, as she has been taught not to call anyone older than her by their name unless the person invites them too. I think it teaches her to be respectful towards the person who is working in our home.

Our son calls her by her name.