What should a parent do to a toddler who always screams or cries if he doesnt get what he wants?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

It depends how old the toddler is, and whether he can talk! Whichever it is, you can adopt the peaceful parenting method of acknowledge, explain, choice. Acknowledge why your son is feeling that way - it could be because he wants a toy, he wants to go somewhere else or doesn't get what he wants to eat etc. Anything! Get to his eye level and say things like "Are you upset because ____?" Pause and wait for some kind of response, sometimes it also helps to carry him to keep him calm because they can't hear you when they're screaming their heads off - you may also use firm and calm tones of things like "Mummy/Daddy doesn't want to talk to you until you calm down". After acknowledging his feelings, explain why he can't get what he wants - be it because he already has the same thing at home, it's not healthy, he's sick so no snacks, you can't afford it etc. The key is to keep it simple and keep it honest! Finally, the step that most parents forget is the choice - give alternatives to him as to what he CAN do instead. Eg. if it's something you cannot afford, either tell him you'd get it another day (give a time period like next week/when you get your pay) or show him the choices that you can afford to buy for him. Whatever you end up saying, make sure you keep your word and fulfill it! The other important thing is to remain calm throughout, and be consistent in the way you address such situations, your tone and your actions. It helps to also enforce this as early as possible, and it does work if you keep it consistent!

Read more

1)try to calm him down. n let him understand the situation. 2)dont try to promise him anything in future if u r really not try to keep the promise. that makes him throw a tantrum when he cant get what he want. for example : " we will buy toys next time we go to A mart. " n the time u go to A mart, the kids will remember guys. huhu.. 3) teach him a lesson. if he didnt wanna stop crying, no more televisyen session for him or snack for the day. btw, it depends on how old he is. hehe.. goodluck mommy..

Read more

So one time me and my son went grocery shopping..he saw this toy and wanted it pretty bad that he threw a fit and he laid on the floor.I looked at him and calmy said if you dont behave were going home.I turned my back on him and started walking away and going outside the building.He stopped crying and started following me behind.We ended going home and not doing grocery but after that incident,he never did that scene again.

Read more

Let him scream or cries until he gets tired. Give some time and talk to him. Kids nowadays are very smart. They know what they want and they know what to do to get it. 🙂

When i said No, No. Firm! Eventually she will stop crying then she would ask me, "next time na lang? "😁😁

Be firm in your decision on not giving him what he wants. The more you give in, the more spoiled he becomes.

Ill still not give what he wants. I want to emphasize that he can't get everything he wants.

Stay calm at all times and be firm on your decision. It's tough, but it's the only way.

Yell him that you love him but hindi lahat ng bagay ay makukuha nya.

Explain to him . Reason with him.