What's the right age to give a kid swimming lessons?

32 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

There are different schools of thought here. Some say that you should let kids in water as early as a few months old. They have natural reflexes from staying in the mother's womb surrounded by amniotic fluid and aren't scared of water yet. However, studies suggest that kids who learn swimming before 3 years of age are at greater risk of being careless in and around water. Doctors all around the world, however, suggest that kids be at least 3 year old before starting swimming lessons.

Read more

Well, if you are talking about swimming lessons for kids and not the parent-child swimming lessons, then, kids are not recommended until they are 4-year olds. Swimming involves repetitive movements -- children need to gain the ability to move their limps and body and practise the same patterns of movement over and over. Children are not ready for learning technique and strokes development until they are four years old.

Read more

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends swimming lessons for all children age 4 or older. 4 years is the age that children are thought to be developmentally ready for swim lessons

5y ago

Rather than swim. It is also good to build water confidence and learn anti drowning since day 1. :)

8-9 months. Infact Babies are born swimmers and if this training is given at this age then they can excel at learning buoyancy. But later years regular practise is must

Well, I think if your child really enjoys being into the water then 3-4 years is a very good time. The early you start, the early he will master it!

VIP Member

I think it depends on the kid .. if they are ready to understand what can coach says hence they ready for swimming too

Really depends on the kid but I have seen some swimming schools that offered swimming classes for for 4 months old

Super Mum

Depends on the parents and kids. I see some people let their kids go into the swimming pool as young as 6 months.

Super Mum

Best age is when both parents r mentally, emotionally, psychologically n financially ready.

My mother threw me in a pool at 2 and look at me now.. Successful.