Use of pacifier

What are the pros and cons of using a pacifier? Is it difficult to wean off once baby used to it?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

A friend advised that babies will find something to suck anyway to self soothe. She didn't let her first use a pacifier and he sucked on his thumb instead and it's hard to wean that; her second used a pacifier and she got him to throw it away and he never looked back.

TapFluencer

Pros- reduce crying that causes my children to vomit from the screams. Easier to wean off compared to sucking of thumb. Cons- have to keep putting it back in when it falls off. #1 self wean off before 1YO

Read more
TapFluencer

pros is that baby soothe themselves and sleep throughout the night . cons - so difficult to wean them off! some parents even tried until their kids turn 5!

VIP Member

Pro: for them to soothe themselves, no need to carry to sleep or pat Cons: weaning off might be a problem, if wean too late might affect their teeth growing

VIP Member

It’s a way of self soothe. So depends on baby. I let my baby use till about 7 months and wean it off. He bites other things now

VIP Member

Pros: 1. Sucking has soothing effect on babies 2. For some reason, it reduces the risks of SIDS Cons: Babies swallow air

Read more
VIP Member

young babies.its easy to fall asleep.but should stop by 1

VIP Member

The baby gets too used to …