What is the maximum time allowable for one to reach hospital the moment your water bag burst?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think you will know best if you should be in hospital. My water bag broke about 5 hours after contractions and I delivered about 5 hours later. It was a terrible experience as I was confined to the hospital bed and not allowed to move around. So all I could think of was contractions. Some experienced mummies prefer to wait out their contractions at the comfort of their home and admit themselves only after contractions become more intense. I wouldn't suggest that as you may end up giving birth on the way there or the whole process just gets very rushed and chaotic if you lose your pain management. I would say you have a comfortable amount of time to take a shower, change and check for any last minute items you may have forgotten and leisurely make your way to the hospital. Meanwhile keep checking if you've any unusual discharge and also take note if there is a decrease in baby's movement.

Read more
Post reply image

Once water burst it is best to head to hospital immediately. This is because there will be a risk of infection since the bag of membranes full of amniotic fluid, which protects and cushionsyour baby in your uterus (womb), tears. The fluid then leaks out via your cervix and vagina (http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a1053562/when-your-waters-break). Gynae might need to induce you after 48 hours if the contractions have not kicked start yet.

Read more
VIP Member

I'd say get there ASAP because each pregnancy is different. some babies are eager to meet the world, while others may take plenty of hours in the delivery ward before emerging. But if contractions have started, do monitor the frequency and intensity. If there's bleeding, head to the hospital immediately!

Read more
VIP Member

If it is not accompanied by contractions, it is not considered as being in labour. However, I would advise that you head to hospital immediately as it could be risky to wait it out. Each delivery differs so there is no "maximum" time. http://sg.theasianparent.com/4-pre-labour-symptoms/

Read more

It would be best to head to the hospital the moment your water bag burst as it will reduce the risk of getting an infection.

thanks