What is the best age and method to wean a baby from the pacifier?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

The CPS generally recommends that pacifier use should stop after a year, paediatricians vary in the age they recommend in their own practices. The sooner the removal the better. But the science is such that we won’t start to see major problems before the age of three. Quitting pacifiers can be a challenge. Start by encouraging your child to turn to another source for comfort — perhaps a blanket or a doll. Don’t spring the removal on them: Talk it up first and give them fair warning that soon they will part with their beloved bubba. Some tricks include “losing” the pacifier or having your child trade in her pacifier for much-wanted toy. Or have her “give” her pacifier to a new baby in her life, such as a friend’s infant or new baby cousin. You can also try reading books on the subject, the same way you use books with potty training (try Scott Nelson’s Bye-Bye, Pacifier or Ricki Booker’s No More Pacifier).

Read more
VIP Member

The recommended age is 2 years old, but you can choose when you want to wean baby off the pacifier. I would prefer to wean before 12 months old to prevent any dental problems. Some babies can wean off pacifiers cold turkey. Get them to say byebye to their pacifier before dumping it. Tell them that they're big now and don't need it anymore. http://sg.theasianparent.com/how-and-when-to-wean-from-pacifiers/

Read more

One trick is to cut the pacifier to make it a big hole and tell baby, the pacifier can not be used anymore. This trick is best to use when baby is able to understand and comprehend the language, around 2 years old plus.

8y ago

I cut a hole, and it didn't work. 1 week later, I cut another pacifier and threw it away in front of her, telling her "you have teeth now, if you still take chut chut, your mouth will spoil'. she was kinda taken aback, and stopped immediately. My 1st

I wean son off at 3yo when he's more sensible; explain to him. I gave him the pacifier with a hole and he threw away himself as its nt nice!

thanks