What is the custom for celebrating baby 4th month?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My mum did the 4th month custom for both my boys. She will shave baby's hair so that they will not start falling to "change" new hair, let baby have a taste of chicken drumstick as an indication to start solids, poke 12 marnie biscuits on a red thread and hang on their neck and wipe their mouth so that it will minimise drooling and lastly let him sit in the walker. Not many parents are following this custom as they listen to western advices like walker shouldn't be introduced to babies, solids should start after 6 months etc. I find that it is up to personal preference as I feel that it is alright since we all grew up this way and my elder boy grew up fine so we just followed.

Read more
VIP Member

I didn't follow any custom when my baby turned 4 months old, but some Chinese like to follow this custom where they shave the baby's hair and let the baby taste different foods like drumsticks, a biscuit necklace and chives. Apparently it's to help minimise drooling. I personally do not believe in it. My baby doesn't drool much even though I didn't follow it. I suppose it's just for fun. http://www.missuschewy.com/2014/07/14/baby-chanelles-lunar-4th-month-traditional-celebration/ Like

Read more

4 mths custom i did for my son was to buy some stuffs loke chicken drumstick unchopped, ku cai, marie biscuit. marie biscuits must be string with a red thread around the baby's neck like wearing necklace lole dat. this is believed to reduce drooling. Ku Cai is to prevent him from having fever during teething stages. Chicken Drumstick is to allow him to taste food and ensuring he has more than enough food in his life.

Read more
2y ago

Hi can I check with you do we need to boil the kucai?

i follow as im staying with my mum . during my baby 4 th month. we will buy some marie biscuit to tie around his neck and also chicken drumstick to let him taste. and also pray at the bed that thanks for the bed fairy taking care of him when sleeping . let him have nice sleep during thru the night .

Post reply image

Shaving baby hair.. Put Chicken Drumstick, Beancurd, Ku Cai and Prawn on baby lip for awhile.. And also a lot of Marie Biscuits tied in a red colour string and let baby wear on their neck to play and put on their lip for awhile too..

I've not very traditional but I've read online that people rub chicken drumsticks on their babies lip so that eat well and to not become a picky eater.

VIP Member

Our daughters recent 4th month drooling ceremony

Post reply image

Hi mummies and daddies, i just tried on my baby!

Post reply image